‘A strong profile in the intellectual property arena. In South Africa, the firm has an impressive record in the financial services and insurance sector, as well as the mining, technology and media sectors.’
Legal 500 EMEA, 2011
Our South African intellectual property team offers a wealth of IP expertise to clients across key industry sectors: financial institutions; energy; infrastructure, mining and commodities; and technology and innovation. We provide advice on intellectual property law at both the local and international level, working closely with our global IP teams on cross-border disputes and transactions throughout Europe, Asia, Australia, Canada, Africa and the Middle East.
Our team of specialist intellectual property lawyers deliver commercially minded advice on a multidisciplinary basis, working closely with our other practices including the corporate and dispute resolution teams.
We maintain a thorough understanding of local and international intellectual property legislation and regulation and as a member of the South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law, we ensure that we remain at the forefront of all legal developments in the field.
Our areas of work include:
- acquisition, registration and protection of trade mark and designs
- consumer rights
- domain Name Registration
- domain Name Disputes
- internet law
- licensing of intellectual property
- protection of Business Names, Company Names and Close Corporation Names
- unlawful competition, passing off and unfair competition
Our recent work:
- Advising Airports Company of South Africa (ACSA) on the affect of the Copyright Act and the Performances Protection Act on the broadcasting and transmission of sound recordings at airports and the broadcasting of films in airports
- Advising David John Robinson (SHS Africa) on the filing of trademarks in SA, United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, Australia & New Zealand
- Advising Godrej Consumer Products Limited (India) on the intellectual property due diligence and drafting IP agreements related to the acquisition of Strips Industries (Pty) Limited
- Advising Stimulii Media on the roll-out of a television show across various jurisdictions.
- Advising Afrisam (South Africa) Pty Ltd on it’s brand protection strategy across Africa
- Advising Wesfarmers Limited on a copyright claim brought against them
More information on our global intellectual property practice