Norton Rose Group performs strongly in H1 2010 Mergermarket statistics as global M&A levels rise
12 July 2010
Norton Rose Group, the international legal practice, was ranked 19th in the Mergermarket H1 2010 league table of legal advisors to Global M&A, a rise of 47 places on the same period in 2009. Norton Rose Group achieved the highest percentage increase in value of deals of any practice in the top 20, registering a 269% increase on H1 2009. Norton Rose Group advised on Global M&A deals worth a total of US$ 45.6bn.
Global M&A totalled US$ 881bn in H1 2010, up 7.8% from H1 2009. The volume of deals was also up by 13.3% at 5,026 announced deals. This has been the busiest half-year for cross-border deals since H1 2008.
Elsewhere in the Mergermarket statistics Norton Rose Group was ranked:
- 4th for the value of UK deals
- 4th for the value of Asia-Pacific deals (excluding Japan)
- 6th for the value of Greater China deals
- 7th for the value of Asian deals (excluding Japan and Australasia)
- 8th for the value of Australasian deals
- 13th for the value of European deals
- 14th for the value of Iberian deals
- 15th for the value of French deals
- 18th for the value of US deals
- 11th for the volume of African and Middle Eastern deals
Tim Marsden, Group head of corporate, Norton Rose Group, commented:
“The global appetite for deal-making is steadily improving, in spite of tough prevailing economic conditions. Our upsurge in activity is due in part to our enlarged footprint through Norton Rose Australia and growing deal activity in the Asia Pacific region, but is also a true reflection of the excellent M&A work that is happening right across our business.”
Recent M&A highlights for Norton Rose Group include:
- Advising AXA on the sale of its UK-based traditional life and pensions businesses, its IFA protection and corporate pension businesses, and its annuity businesses to Resolution Ltd for £2.75 billion
- Advising AXA on the proposed acquisition of the Asian businesses of AXA Asia Pacific Holdings Limited, AXA’s non-wholly owned subsidiary which is separately listed on the Australian Stock Exchange.
- Advising France Telecom on the merger of Orange UK and T-Mobile UK to create the UK’s largest mobile operator.
- Advising Wüstenrot & Württembergische AG and its subsidiary Wüstenrot Bausparkasse AG, on the acquisition of Allianz Dresdner Bauspar AG
- Advising Coventry Building Society, the UK’s 3rd largest building society, on its merger with Stroud & Swindon Building Society.
For further information please contact:
Sarah Webster, senior public relations manager
+44(0)20 7444 5942 firstname.lastname@example.org
+44 (0)77 2535 0425
Norton Rose Group is a leading international legal practice. We offer a full business law service from our offices across Europe, the Middle East and Asia Pacific.
Knowing how our clients’ businesses work and understanding what drives their industries is fundamental to us. Our lawyers share industry knowledge and sector expertise across borders, enabling us to support our clients anywhere in the world. We are strong in financial institutions; energy; infrastructure and commodities; transport; and technology.
We have over 1800 lawyers operating from 30 offices in Abu Dhabi, Amsterdam, Athens, Bahrain, Bangkok, Beijing, Brisbane, Brussels, Canberra, Dubai, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, London, Melbourne, Milan, Moscow, Munich, Paris, Perth, Piraeus, Prague, Rome, Shanghai, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo and Warsaw and from associate offices in Ho Chi Minh City, Jakarta and Riyadh.
Norton Rose Group comprises Norton Rose LLP, Norton Rose Australia and their respective affiliates.