Poupak Bahamin is a corporate lawyer based in Paris.
Poupak specialises in mergers and acquisitions and general corporate transactions with a particular emphasis on the natural resources sector, where she advises mining and oil and gas companies in the establishment of joint ventures, partnerships, mining conventions, as well as sale and financing of assets. Over the past few years, her practice has been focused on French-speaking Africa and in particular Democratic Republic of Congo, Guinea, Ivory Coast, Mali, Republic of Congo and Burkina Faso.
Poupak regularly contributes to mining journals, publications and conferences.
Poupak qualified in 1993, following which she obtained a Masters Degree in Law, from McGill University. She is fluent in English and French and speaks Farsi.
Selected client work
- Acting for NedBank and Rand Marchand Bank in a $30M bridge and $80M project debt facility for a copper project in DRC (ongoing);
- Advising an oil and gas company on a shareholders’ dispute (ongoing);
- Representation of Anvil Mining Limited (TSX, ASX:AVM) in relation to the re-negotiation of contractual arrangements with local stakeholders, in the context of the sale of shares to the Minmetals Group;
- Advising an Australian (ASX listed) company in relation to its mining projects in the DR Congo;
- Advising Tiger Resources (TSX, ASX:TGS) in relation to its mining projects in the DR Congo;
- Advising Shalina Resources in relation to its mining projects in the DR Congo;
- Advising Banro Corporation in relation to its mining projects in the DR Congo;
- Representation of Société des Mines d’Or de Kilo-Moto (“SOKIMO”, previously known as the Office des Mines d’Or de Kilo Moto) in the sale of a 20% participation in Kibali Goldmines to RandGold Resources (NASDAQ:GOLD) and AngloGold Ashanti (JSE:ANG and NYSE:AU);
- Representation of SOKIMO in the establishment of Joint Ventures with each of Moto Goldmines Limited (previously TSX:MGL), AngloGold Ashanti (JSE:ANG and NYSE:AU) and Mwana Africa (AIM:MWA);
- Representation of Kilo Goldmines Limited, (TSX.V:KGL), in (a) the creation of five (5) Joint Ventures and the acquisition of gold Mining concessions in the DR Congo, and (b) in the negotiation of a Joint Venture with Rio Tinto;
- Representation of the Government of DRC in sale of a participation in Congo China Telecom to France Telecom.
- Representation of Anglogold Ashanti Limited (JSE:ANG and NYSE:AU) in relation to its mining projects in Guinea (ongoing);
- Representation of Avocet Mining (LSE:AVM.L) in relation to its mining projects in Guinea (ongoing);
- Representation of Alufer Mining Limited in relation to its mining projects in Guinea (ongoing);
- Representation of Bellzone Mining plc in relation to its mining projects in Guinea (ongoing);
- Representation of Direct Leverage Limited in the sale of mining assets to a Canadian company;
- Advising International Finance Corporation (subsidiary of the World Bank).
- Advising Avocet Mining in relation to its mining projects in Burkina Faso (ongoing);
- Advising Gyphon Minerals in relation to its upcoming financing of a gold project in Burkina Faso (ongoing);
- Advising Standard Bank in relation to the implementation of securities in Burkina Faso.
- Advising Perseus Mining Limited in relation it its mining projects in Ivory Coast (ongoing).
- Advising Papillon Resources in relation to its mining projects in Mali (ongoing).
- Advising a client in relation with the restructuring of its mining activities in Mauritania (due diligence, joint venture).
Republic of Congo
- Representation of Evergreen in the acquisition of shares of MagIndustries Corp (TSX:MAA), a Canadian company with assets in the Republic of Congo and DR Congo);
- Advising Equatorial Resources (ASX:EQX) in respect to their mining projects (ongoing).
- Representation of Mongolia Minerals Corporation (Toronto based mining company to be shortly listed on the TSX) in the acquisition of several coal mining concessions in Mongolia and the establishment of several joint ventures.
- “DRC: Joining OHADA”, Mining Journal Indaba Supplement, January 2013;
- “DRC: Tackling the issues, there is a need for greater transparency and an improvement in governance in one of the world’s richest resource nations”, Mining Journal, pp. 18-24, August 17, 2012;
- “Guinea Fast Facts”, Mining Journal, pp. 15-16, November 18, 2011;
- “Maturing Mining Market, Increasing stability in the DRC is attracting investors from around the World”, Mining Journal, pp. 15-17, August 19, 2011;
- “Looking for Transparency, Mining Companies in the DRC can look forward to Government’s efforts to Develop the Sector”, Mining Journal, pp. 14-17, August 20, 2010;
- “DRC: Ripe for Development, the Democratic Republic of Congo is rich in Natural Resources and Investment Opportunities”, Mining Journal, pp. 11-14, August 21, 2009 (co-author: Jacques Bouchard Jr.);
- “Government can Increase Revenues from Mineral Resources”, Mining Review Africa, No. 6, pp. 43-50, 2009.
- « Opportunities, risks and due diligence in difficult jurisdictions, Focus on Africa », address at the Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada (PDAC) Conference, Toronto, Canada, March 2012;
- « Impact de l’OHADA sur les secteurs juridique et judiciaire en RDC » (Impact of OHADA on Judicial and Legal Risks in DRC), address at the Infrastructure and Partnership for Africa’s Development (IPAD) Conference, Kinshasa, DRC, October 2010;
- « Briser les barrières culturelles et maîtriser les éléments cruciaux pour parvenir à une relation fructueuse avec les peuples, les avocats et les gouvernements étrangers » (Breaking Cultural Barriers and Crucial Elements for a Successful Partnership with Foreign Parties, Lawyers and Governments), address at the Canadian Institute, Montreal, Canada, April 2010 ;
- « Secteur minier congolais: analyse comparée des facteurs déterminants en matière d’investissement » (Congolese Mining Sector : Compared Analysis of Factors Impacting Investment), address at the IPAD Conference, Kinshasa, DRC, October 2009;
- « Financement canadien des activités minières congolaises » (Canadian Financing of Congolese Mining Activities), address at the IPAD Conference, Kinshasa, DRC, October 2008 ;
- « Securing Mining Rights in Africa: a Case Study of the Democratic Republic of Congo and Angola », address at the Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada (PDAC), Toronto, Canada, March 2008.