‘This practice has a particular emphasis on the energy, transportation and oil and gas upstream sectors, and has notable expertise in projects involving the financing and provision of offshore drilling rigs, FPSOs and FSOs… Sources say: “An excellent firm; their documentation and general quality are brilliant.”’
Chambers Asia, 2012
Our Singapore shipping team is regarded as a leader in its field throughout Singapore and the Asia Pacific region. Shipping law has been at the core of our practice for over 200 years and we are recognised globally for our expertise in the industry.
Our Singapore team works closely with our global shipping group to provide integrated advice on a range of cross-border transactions and disputes throughout Europe, Asia, Australia, Canada, Africa, the Middle East, Latin America, and Central Asia.
We advise a broad range of clients including ship owners and operators, banks, trading houses, lessors, charterers, oil majors, LNG operators, brokers, ship builders, container shippers and cruise ship operators. One of only six international legal practices with a Qualifying Foreign Legal Practice Licence, we are qualified to handle everything from the most complex tax lease structures to anti-competition actions, from ship conversion disputes to offshore disputes, throughout Singapore and Asia.
Our areas of work include:
- capital markets
- competition and regulation
- contractual agreements
- dispute resolution
- mergers and acquisition
- port development and privatisation
- shipping finance
Our recent work:
- Advised Sumitomo Banking Corporation, Export-Import Bank of China, Mizuho Corporate Bank, Ltd., Industrial and Commercial Bank of China Limited and Bank of Tokyo Mitsubishi UFJ, Ltd. in relation to US$1billion syndicated loan facilities to a joint venture between Mitsui O.S.K Lines, Ltd. and China Shipping Development Company, Ltd. This deal won the Marine Money Project Finance Deal of the Year.
- Acting for HSBC as lead arranger and agent in connection with structuring and documenting the limited recourse Islamic lease financing of a 135,000 cubic metre LNG carrier for Brunei Gas Carriers Sdn Bhd, a joint venture between the Government of Brunei, Shell and Mitsubishi Corporation. This was the first ever Islamic financing for an LNG carrier. The excellent relationships developed between the parties (including our team) on this transaction led to this transaction being refinanced, also on Islamic terms.
- Acting for the lead arrangers in connection with structuring and documenting the Shariah-compliant US$600m limited recourse Islamic lease financing of two 135,000 cubic metre LNG carriers for Brunei Gas Carriers Sdn Bhd. This transaction was the largest LNG vessel finance in SE Asia and the largest ever Islamic Shipping finance in Asia. The transaction won a number of awards, including Jane’s Transport Finance - Ship Financing Debt Deal of the Year for South East Asia, Marine Money Asia - Deal of the Year Awards - Editor’s Choice and Islamic Finance News awards - Brunei Deal of the Year.
- Advising Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation Ltd and United Overseas Bank Ltd, as mandated lead arrangers, on the $105 million limited recourse project financing of a floating storage and offloading facility (FSO) for a joint venture between Petrovietnam Technical Services Corporation of Vietnam and Yinson Holdings Bhd of Malaysia. The FSO is to be bareboat chartered to Petrovietnam Technical Services Corporation and time chartered to Bien Dong Petroleum Operating Company for operations in the Bien Dong field offshore Vietnam.
More information on our global shipping practice