Mining and commodities
Our Singapore mining and commodities team advises a number of international clients on the full range of legal services throughout the region. We regularly act in the soft commodities, mining and minerals, and energy sectors, providing expert advice on trade and export finance and trade and energy dispute resolution.
Our team has experience in the financing of the production, export, transport and warehousing of a vast range of commodities, including oil, oil products and other energy commodities, bio fuels, chemicals, precious and base metals, soft commodities such as coffee, cocoa, sugar, grains and edible oils, paper, cotton, textiles and carbon credits.
Our structured trade and commodity finance team regularly acts as lead international legal counsel for major banks and borrowers on the full range of commodity finance structures in developing markets. We also work closely with our global mining and commodities colleagues to provide integrated advice on complex cross-border matters throughout Europe, Asia, Australia, Canada, Africa, the Middle East, Latin America and Central Asia.
Our areas of work include:
- asset-backed securitisations
- barter and counter-trade
- dispute resolution
- mergers and acquisitions
- reserve/borrowing base financings
- stock and inventory financing
- tolling and processing
Our recent work:
- Acting in the acquisition of a majority interest in Straits Resources Limited’s (SRL) coal assets and downstream bid for Singapore listed Straits Asia Resources Limited
- Advising the International Finance Corporation (IFC) and PLN on the 2000 MW coal-fired power plant in Central Java, Indonesia. This mandate included drafting the power purchase agreement and advising on issues related to the IIGF and Ministry of Finance guarantees
- Advising Linc Energy on the sale of Linc’s Galilee coal tenement in Queensland to Adani Mining Pty Ltd. The sale involved an upfront $500 million and a royalty stream once production starts, total value of the deal estimated to be approximately A$3 billion
- Advising PT Berau Coal on the complex refinancing of its US$100 million senior and mezzanine facilities
- Advising JBIC and KEXIM as lenders to a pre-qualified bidder for the Banten 660 MW coal-fired power project in Indonesia
More information on our global mining and commodities practice