Climate change and carbon finance
Our Moscow climate change and carbon finance team has developed a well established practice in Russia and plays a leading role in the development of carbon finance markets, involving regular interaction with state authorities.
Working for a number of prominent corporations, financial institutions and governmental organisations, we provide the full range of climate change and carbon finance advice on both a local and cross-border basis, working collaboratively with our specialist lawyers throughout Europe, Asia, Australia, Canada, Africa, the Middle East, Latin America and Central Asia.
We can draw upon the expertise of our multidisciplinary lawyers in Moscow to provide a full-service approach to all carbon financings and climate change transactions; we work closely with our local teams in the fields of: corporate; banking and finance; energy; tax; among other practice areas.
Our areas of work include:
- Joint-implementation projects in Russia and associated risks
- Legal and institutional issues regarding joint-implementation and emissions trading in the Russian Federation
- Purchase of emission reduction units (ERUs)generated from joint-implementation projects in Russia
- Purchase of emission reduction units in the secondary market
- Russian law aspects of joint-implementation regulation
Our recent work:
- Advising Citigroup Global Markets Limited in relation to the acquisition of ERUs from a joint-implementation project of OJSC “Lukoil”
- Advising Mercuria Energy Trading SA, one of the world’s five largest independent energy traders located in Geneva, Switzerland, on its purchase of ERUs from a joint-implementation project implemented by CJSC “International Paper”
More information on our global climate change and carbon finance practices