Thomas E. Valentine
Tom Valentine has 25 years of experience in the oil and gas industry, both as a barrister and a solicitor.
In 2003 and 2004, Mr. Valentine lived in Doha, Qatar, where he was senior counsel (projects) with Qatar Petroleum. While in Qatar, Mr. Valentine was responsible for a number of international gas and LNG projects, including projects in the United Kingdom (Qatargas II), India (RasGas) and Spain (Endesa Generacion).
Since returning to Canada in 2004, Mr. Valentine's work continues to focus on oil, gas (including LNG) and project development work, including fiscal regime analysis and negotiations, E&P work, joint venture structuring, joint operations issues, purchase and sale agreements, and decommissioning obligations.
He currently provides legal advice to various gas and LNG projects (both upstream and downstream) in Asia, Nigeria, South America, North America and the Middle East. Each year Mr. Valentine delivers lectures and teaches workshops on natural gas and LNG contracts in Doha, London, Dubai, Trinidad, Singapore and Rio.
Year of call
LL.M., London School of Economics, 1989
LL.B., Dalhousie University, 1986
B.A., University of British Columbia, 1983
Selected client work
Mr. Valentine has acted recently for the following clients:
- Republic of Palau: Advisor to the minister of energy and the president regarding the preparation and implementation of a new petroleum law and associated regulations. Engagement involves training, negotiating, drafting and implementing new gas and oil laws and is being executed with the support of the World Bank
- Kitimat LNG Inc. Project for permitting, financing, construction and operation of a two-train liquefied natural gas (LNG) liquefaction terminal at Kitimat, BC, and the export of LNG to Asia. Relevant work has included gas supply and transportation issues, land acquisition, facility permitting, environmental review, EPC, project financing, and joint venture project development work with US partners
- Trinidad & Tobago: Provided advice with respect to production-sharing agreement issues and the development of fiscal regimes for deep water gas and oil field development. Engagement was with respect to various issues including upstream and downstream gas pricing analysis
- Iran: Provided advice with respect to various issues regarding oil and gas operations, including Canadian and American export control analysis and in-country logistics risk assessment
- Cyprus: Legal advisor and presenter to the Government of Cyprus, Electricity Board, with respect to a proposal for development of a LNG regasification facility. The board is a state-owned, vertically integrated electricity company and is examining the development of an LNG regasification terminal that is promoted by the Government of Cyprus and will also be the major gas offtaker
- Peru: Legal advisor and presenter to the vice minister of energy and mining of Peru with respect to a project to develop, construct and operate an LNG facility at Pampa Melchorita, Peru. The feedgas for the project will be produced from Blocks 56 and 88 in the Camisea gas fields of east-central Peru, and will be transported by pipeline to the west coast via the existing Transportadora de Gas del Peru pipeline and a new, 408-kilometre connection pipeline to be constructed by Peru LNG
- New York: Legal advisor to Safe Harbour Energy, a project being developed by the Atlantic Sea Island Group LLC to construct a man-made island south of the city of Long Beach, New York, and build an LNG receiving, storage and regasification facility on that island. The 36”-diameter pipelines will connect the terminal to an existing offshore pipeline owned and operated by Trans Continental Gas Pipeline Corporation
- Iraq (Kurdistan): Legal counsel to WesternZagros Resources Inc., a Canadian E&P company with oil and gas assets in Kurdistan. Related work includes seismic services agreements, EPSA issues, and general upstream operational agreements
- Nigeria: Legal counsel to an upstream LNG Project being developed by Moni Pulo Limited (a Nigerian Company) and Brass Exploration Unlimited (a Nigerian company). The project will develop a floating liquefied natural gas liquefaction plant and associated facilities in the Oron River region in Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria
- Ghana: Counsel to a publicly listed Canadian E&P company with respect to the acquisition of two offshore production sharing agreements with the Ghana government. Work included legal and political due diligence as well as negotiation of the PSAs
- “The Law and Business of Liquefied Natural Gas” (book review), Journal of Energy and Natural Resources Law, spring 2008.
- “Liquefied Natural Gas: The Law and Business of LNG” (book review), November 2007.
- “The World is Watching: Increased Interest in Alberta's Oil Sands,” Oilweek, October 2004.
- “LNG Project: A Legal Framework,” Oilweek, September 2004.
- “Canada's West Coast Positioned for LNG Success,” Oilweek, August 2004.
- “The World LNG 14 Conference: Another Success Story for Qatar,” Oilweek, May 2004
- “Production Sharing Contracts and Oil and Gas Law in Afghanistan” (chairman), Ministry of Mines of Afghanistan, Kabul, Afghanistan, January 25 - 27, 2012.
- “LNG Contracts—Five Day In-house Course, ENI University” (course leader), CWC School for Energy, Luanda, Angola, November 28 - December 2, 2011.
- “Gas & LNG Contracts: 3 Day Training Course” (course leader), CWC School for Energy, Singapore, November 21- 23, 2011.
- “Production Sharing Contracts” (chairman), CWC School for Energy, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, October 24 - 25, 2011.
- “LNG Commercial Dynamics: Four Day Training Course” (co-chair), CWC School for Energy, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, October 4 - 7, 2011.
- “Production Sharing Agreements: Three Day Training Course” (course leader), CWC School for Energy, London, England, September 28 - 30, 2011.
- “Upstream Oil & Gas Opportunities in Latin America: E&P Opportunities in Peru,” Calgary, Alberta, September 13, 2011.
- “LNG Fundamentals: Four Day Training Course” (co-chair), CWC School for Energy, London, England, June 20 - 24, 2011.
- “Natural Gas and LNG Contracts: Three Day Training Course” (chairman), CWC School for Energy, Doha, Qatar, March 28 - 30, 2011.
- “LNG Understanding the Strategic, Commercial and Legal” (chairman), CWC School for Energy, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, October 5 - 8, 2010.
- “Calgary firms vie to gain a foothold in growing LNG market,” Lawyers Weekly, June 2005
Memberships and activities
- Law Society of Alberta
- Canada—Arab Business Council
- Energy Exploration Technologies Inc.