Alan Rudakoff, QC
Mr. Rudakoff has appeared as counsel in the Alberta Provincial Court (Civil and Criminal Divisions), Court of Queen’s Bench and Court of Appeal and in the Supreme Court of Canada. He has extensive experience in alternate dispute resolution proceedings and has acted as a mediator in the successful resolution of insurance claims.
His practice is principally in the tort/liability defence and insurance fields with an emphasis on the defence of sophisticated, complex commercial claims, including product liability, commercial liability, professional negligence and serious personal injury/wrongful death. He regularly acts for a diverse group of international insurers and multinational manufacturers and has wide experience handling all manner of liability, property, and casualty claims.
Mr. Rudakoff has been named as a leading practitioner in the areas of dental malpractice defence, personal injury defence, and commercial insurance by the Canadian Legal LEXPERT Directory and is one of only four Alberta lawyers to appear in the International Who’s Who of Insurance and Reinsurance Lawyers, a list of pre-eminent lawyers in the field.
Mr. Rudakoff has also acted as a professional sports agent, certified by the National Hockey League Players’ Association and the Professional Players’ Association, representing players in their dealings and negotiations with professional sports teams.
Year of call
LL.B., University of Alberta, 1982
B.A., McGill University 1979
- “A Review of Whiplash Decisions in Alberta: January 1994 - April 2009.”
- “Conflicts of Interest in Dental Malpractice Claims,” June 2002.
- “Calculating Lost Future Earnings in Fatality Claims,” November 2001.
- “Strategic Approaches to the Changed Rules: A Defence Perspective/Update on Leading Cases,” Canadian Insurance Claims Managers Association, April 1999.
- “Insurance Policies in a Sexual Abuse/Harassment Context,” April 1998.
- “Risk Management for Independent Practice Professionals,” Applied Psychology - Private Practice, graduate course, University of Calgary, Department of Psychology, May 2001.
- “Crisis Liability,” Western Canadian Universities, November 2000.
- “International Crisis Planning and Liability,” panel member, Western Canadian Universities, November 2000.
- “International Security and Risk Management,” University of Calgary seminar, January 2000.
- “Identifying Legal Issues Pertaining to Insurance Policies in a Sexual Abuse/Harassment Context,” Infonex seminar, April 1998.
- “Clinical Pathways as an Indicator of Liability,” Hospital Liability, The Canadian Institute, Vancouver, February 1998.
Rankings and recognitions
- Benchmark Canada, 2012-2013 - recognized as a local litigation star in Alberta; Litigation star in Canada in Arbitration, Product Liability and Class Action
- The International Who’s Who of Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers, 2012
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2013 - Insurance Law, Personal Injury Litigation
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2012 - recommended in Personal Injury and Litigation - Product Liability
- Appointed as a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, 2010
- Identified as one of the top product liability lawyers in Canada by the LawDay newsletter
- Designated as one of the “Best Lawyers in Canada” in Insurance and Personal Injury Litigation, 2007, 2009 - 2011
- Listed in Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as a leading practitioner in the areas of Dental Malpractice Defence, Personal Injury Defence and Commercial Insurance
- Selected by in-house counsel and his peers for listing in the Guide to the World’s Leading Product Liability Lawyers, published by Expert Guides and the Legal Media Group.