Chrysten E. Perry
Chrysten Perry has over 25 years’ experience practising corporate and commercial law related to oil and gas projects, spanning a number of sectors, including petroleum and natural gas, natural gas liquids, heavy oil, oil sands and shale gas and coal-bed methane. Clients rely on her legal and technical expertise and practical know-how to negotiate and draft agreements for the structuring of joint ventures and partnerships, and for the drafting of operating agreements, royalty agreements, farm-in and participation arrangements.
Ms. Perry’s extensive expertise also includes advising on often complex asset purchase and sale and equity purchase and sale transactions. Part of the legal counsel she provides in this respect includes advising on the preparation of data rooms, bidding documents and due diligence, title opinions, as well as drafting related sale agreements and dealing with transitional and regulatory matters. Ms. Perry is also experienced in processing, sales and transportation, marketing and operational issues facing energy companies.
Her advice is frequently sought in connection with the strategic and business law aspects of oil and gas projects, not only by companies working in the upstream and downstream sectors, but also by pipeline and midstream companies.
A significant portion of Ms. Perry’s energy practice relates to multi-million dollar acquisitions and divestitures and joint venture/project development by major players in the oil and gas industry that have domestic and international operations across a number of jurisdictions. These include Western Canada, the Canadian Arctic and the Canadian East Coast, Trinidad, Colombia, Australia, New Zealand, the North Sea, Indonesia and Cyprus. As an example, she recently co-led one of the largest acquisitions in the petroleum industry in Colombia.
Ms. Perry has also written several works on the history and development of the Canadian oil sands and has spoken at conferences on a range of topics in the field of energy, for example at the International Bar Association and the Canadian Energy Law Foundation, of which she is a director.
Ms. Perry is one of the two Canadian leaders of our energy practice.
Year of call
LL.B., University of Alberta, 1986
B.A.(Hons.), University of Alberta, 1982
Selected client work
Ms. Perry acted recently for the following clients:
- Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd in connection with a $1.07 billion acquisition of shale gas assets from Progress Energy Ltd. and development of an LNG project
- Ecopetrol S.A., Colombia's largest integrated oil company, and Talisman Energy in connection with an acquisition of BP Colombia’s oil and gas interests in Colombia, one of the largest petroleum investments in Colombia (joint deal counsel)
- Talisman Energy in connection with a multi-hundred million dollar disposition of oil and gas assets to CNOOC International Ltd. and Sinopec Overseas Oil & Gas Limited
- Provident Energy Trust in connection with a multi-hundred million dollar disposition of Canadian oil and gas assets
- Total E & P Canada Ltd. in connection with structuring, negotiating and drafting the Joslyn Joint Venture Agreement for the Joslyn Oil Sands Project
- The Mackenzie Valley Gas Project, which required negotiating and drafting the development and operating agreements for the Mackenzie Valley Pipeline Project and the Mackenzie Valley Gas Gathering System, as well as producing back-stop funding agreements, precedent agreements and gas transportation agreements (project counsel)
- Provident Energy Trust for the acquisition of the natural gas liquids midstream business of EnCana Corporation
- KeySpan Corporation in the acquisition of the natural gas liquids midstream business of Gulf Canada Resources Ltd., which included the acquisition of 14 gas plants and associated pipelines
- Provident Energy Trust in connection with the acquisition of Samson Canada Ltd. oil and gas assets
- The purchaser of EnerPro Resources, a private gas midstream and NGL company
- The Province of Alberta New Royalty Framework, January 2008.
- History of Canadian Oil Sands, July 2007.
- Oil Sands Joint Venture: Agreements, Insight 2006.
- Development of Canada Oil Sands, Insight 2005.
- Confidential Information and Joint Ventures, Insight 2001.
- “Oil Sands Mining in Alberta, Reclamation Issues and the New Mine Financial Security Fund,” Canadian Energy Law Foundation Conference, 2011.
- International Bar Association Energy Conference, Biennial Conference on Energy, 2010.
- Canadian Association of Petroleum Landmen, various oil and gas topics.
Rankings and recognitions
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2012: Energy: Oil & Gas (Transactional)
- PLC Which Lawyer 2011? (Canada) in the area of Energy
- The International Who’s Who of Oil and Gas Lawyers 2011
- Who’s Who Legal: Canada 2011 in the area of Oil & Gas
- Rated BV Distinguished (very high rating in both legal ability and ethical standards) by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Board
- Recognized by LEXPERT as one of “15 Women To Watch” in the Canadian legal field
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Energy Law Foundation
- Women in Need Society