Dan J. Leduc
Dan Leduc practises primarily construction law and commercial litigation. Within construction law, he is frequently called upon to advise and represent owners, engineers, subcontractors, suppliers and builders in such front-end services as contract review, tender issues and general construction matters, as well as in litigation and arbitration.
Mr. Leduc specializes in negotiating, mediating, arbitrating and litigating construction disputes including construction liens, trust claims, delay claims, construction insurance claims, and architect's and engineer's errors and omissions. He has extensive experience in drafting and negotiating various forms of construction contracts on behalf of owners, developers, general contractors, subcontractors and suppliers. Mr. Leduc also has experience in surety bonding claims on construction projects, including performance bond claims and labour and material payment bond claims, and managing cases involving large volumes of documents, at times in excess of 300,000 documents.
Year of call
LL.B., University of New Brunswick, 1991
B.A. (Hons.), Queen's University, 1988
Selected client work
Mr. Leduc has acted for the following clients recently:
- Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute, Edmonton, Alberta - acting for subcontractor on C$12 million delay claim
- Seymour Capilano Water Treatment Project, Vancouver, BC - acting for subcontractor on C$800,000 delay claim
- James Armstrong Richardson International Airport, Winnipeg, Manitoba - acting for subcontractor on claims totalling C$8.5 million
- Blind River water treatment plant, Blind River, Ontario - acting for contractor on claims in excess of C$7 million
- Kagawong water treatment plant, Manitoulin Island, Ontario - acting for contractor on claims estimated at C$400,000
- Western University Student Sports and Recreation Centre, London, Ontario - acting for subcontractor on C$2 million claim
- Rockfall Mitigation Project, Grenada - acting for contractor against Government of Grenada on claim estimated at C$1.3 million
- Piccadilly Potash Mine Project, Sussex, New Brunswick - acting for contractor in C$52 million claim against owner Potash Corp. of Saskatchewan and EPCM AMEC Americas Ltd.
- Bruce Power Nuclear - acting for contractor in negotiating construction agreement for work valued in excess of C$1.5 billion for retrofit of four remaining nuclear reactors
- Halton Hills Generating Station project - acting for contractor in claim against Aker and Burns & McDonnell in excess of C$7 million
- "Shift Happens: Dealing with the Shifting Risks Down to Subcontractors - What's Trending," Black & McDonald Limited Leadership Conference, Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON, February 5-8, 2013.
- "Introduction to Tender Law," Windsor Construction Association, Windsor, ON, October 11, 2012.
- "Introduction to Construction Claims," Ottawa Construction Association, Ottawa, ON, September 28, 2012.
- "Managing Risks Contractually," Sault Ste. Marie Construction Association, Sault Ste. Marie, ON, June 22, 2012.
- "Improving Cash Flow," Electrical Contractors Association of Ontario / Electrical Contractors Association of British Columbia's Annual General Meeting, Whistler, BC, June 14, 2012.
- "Basics for Delay Claims," Canadian Institute Construction Conference, Montreal, QC, April 24, 2012.
- "How to Make the Lien Act Work for You," Kingston Construction Association, Kingston, ON, March 2, 2012.
- "Managing Risks Contractually," Mechanical Contractors Association of Toronto, Toronto, ON, January 19, 2012.
- "Ottawa Construction Association on Construction ClaimsGetting Paid," Electrical Contractors Association of Ontario AGM, Kingston, ON, June 25, 2010.
- "Effective Settlement Strategies," Solicitors Conference, Carleton County Lawyers Association, May 7, 2010.
Rankings and recognitions
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2012 - recommended in Construction Law
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)
- Society of Construction Law (UK)
- Ottawa Construction Association
- Kingston Construction Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Executive, Construction Law Section
- American Bar Association
- Construction Industry Forum