Martha A. Healey
Martha Healey has considerable expertise in federal and provincial regulatory matters, specifically in federally regulated matters, including competition, health, agricultural and consumer products regulation, food, drug, cosmetic and consumer product recalls, transportation, privacy, records management and access to information. Ms. Healey advises clients regularly in the food, drug (human and veterinarian), medical device, natural health product, pesticide, animal feed, communications and other commercial sectors. Her practice includes telecommunications, transportation, life sciences and competition law (including mergers, marketing practices and advertising), as well as information and e-commerce regulation and conflict of interest investigation. She is Chair of the recall and crisis management team.
Ms. Healey liaises regularly with federal regulatory officials. She advises clients on preparing and implementing corporate competition and privacy law compliance audits and plans, industry certification programs and advertising and marketing programs, as well as on access to information litigation, third-party responses to access requests and numerous other issues. She also provides competition and privacy law advice to existing Canadian businesses and new business entrants into Canada.
Ms. Healey has appeared before the Federal Court, the Federal Court of Appeal, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and the Ontario Court of Appeal. She has also appeared before and participated in proceedings before federal and provincial tribunals and regulatory authorities and a federal commission of inquiry.
Year of call
LL.B., Western University, 1990
M.A., Carleton University, 1987
B.A. (Hons.), Wilfrid Laurier University, 1986
Selected client work
Ms. Healey has acted recently for the following clients:
- Genstar Capital, LLC, a US-based private equity firm, in connection with its acquisition of Granite Global Solutions, a leading Canadian provider of risk mitigation services to insurance and corporate clients
- Westco Group Inc. in connection with the successful dismissal of a private application filed with the Competition Tribunal to obtain an order forcing Westco to supply all of its live chickens to one customer
- “The Canada Consumer Product Safety Act - Negotiating the Minefield,” (conference chair and speaker), L'Expert Conferences, November 2010.
- “Battening Down Before the Storm Hits: Recall And Other Crisis Management,” Association of Corporate Counsel, 2010 Annual Meeting, San Antonio, Texas, October 2010.
- “Working with Ministers and Parliament: Producing Workable Legislation to Achieve Policy Initiatives,” September 2010.
- “Show them What You've Got - Tips on Marketing,” Women Lawyers Symposium: Fostering and Celebrating Success, February 2010.
- “The Top 5 Privacy Issues to be Considered in Civil Litigation,” The Twelve Minute Civil Litigator, Law Society of Upper Canada, 2009.
- “Privacy and the Adjudicative Process,” Council of Canadian Administrative Tribunals - The Modern Canadian Tribunal - 25 Years in the Making, June 2009.
- “Successful Strategies for Federal Court Advocacy,” Advanced Administrative Law & Practice, Essential Professional Development for Counsel, The Canadian Institute, October 2008.
- “Data Protection in M&A/Joint Venture Transactions: Just a nuisance?” American Bar Association Section of International Law Fall Meeting, Brussels, September 26, 2008.
- “Product Safety: Managing Risk and Keeping Your Consumers' Confidence,” Store 2008 - Canada's Retail Conference, Retail Council of Canada.
- “Protecting the Public While Limiting Liability: Analyzing the Duty to Warn,” Product Liability and Recalls, Limiting Legal Risks in a Global Economy, The Canadian Institute, May 2008.
Rankings and recognitions
- PLC Which lawyer?, 2011 - Life sciences: regulatory
- Global Counsel Life Sciences Handbook
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Direct Sellers Association
- Government Relations Committee
- Editorial Board of Competition Law (Federated Press)
- Lecturer, Administrative Law, Ontario Bar Admissions Course
- Session Lecturer, Canadian Centre for Management Development, CCMD Program for Administrative Tribunal Members, 1999-2005 and 2009
- Lecturer, Competition Law, Faculty of Law, Queen's University, 2002-2003
- Lecturer, Public Law, Law Society of Upper Canada, Bar Admission Course, 1999-2001
- Lecturer, Administrative Law, Institute of Law Clerks Program, 1996-1997