Jocelyn F. Rancourt
Jocelyn Rancourt’s areas of practice include grievance arbitration, occupational health and safety, certification, collective agreement decrees, collective bargaining, labour standards, individual contracts of employment, human rights and freedoms, and pay equity. Mr. Rancourt is Québec Chair of our employment and labour law group.
Mr. Rancourt frequently appears before administrative tribunals with jurisdiction in labour matters and his recent cases have involved intoxication linked to air quality in the workplace. He has also appeared before the civil courts, including the Quebec Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada.
Mr. Rancourt has written several articles dealing with occupational health and safety, harassment and violence in the workplace, absenteeism, human rights and freedoms in the workplace, and compulsive gambling and its impact on the workplace.
LL.B., Université Laval, 1984
B.A., Université Laval, 1981
Mr. Rancourt has spoken on labour law topics at conferences held by numerous organizations, including the Conseil du patronat du Québec, the Centre de formation patronale-syndicale, The Canadian Institute, Canadian Insight, the Quebec Bar, meetings of the Commissioners of the Commission des lésions professionnelles (CLP), the Association des infirmières et infirmiers en santé et sécurité du Québec, the Junior Bar Association of Québec, the Association des gestionnaires des établissements de santé et de services sociaux and the Fédération des Commissions scolaires du Québec. He has also led discussion groups on human resources in the Québec and Trois-Rivières areas. Recent speaking engagements include the following:
- “Antécédents, réembauche, accusation criminelle à caractère sexuel, fouille,” presentation to a private high school.
- “La rémunération et l’accommodement,” workshop organized by the Centre de formation patronale-syndicale, June 4, 2008.
- “Les vérifications des demandes d’accommodement,” workshop organized by the Centre de formation patronale-syndicale, June 4, 2008.
- “La violence au travail : responsabilité et devoirs de l’employeur,” Mini-seminar organized by the Quebec Bar, December 8, 2000.
- “L’arbitrage de litiges en matière de droits de la personne,” Sixième revue annuelle des relations de travail du Québec, workshop organized by the Centre de formation patronale-syndicale, Montréal, November 9, 2000.
Rankings and recognitions
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2013 - Workers Compensation Law
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2012: recommended in Occupational Health & Safety and Employment Law
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2012 - Labour and Employment Law, Workers Compensation Law
Memberships and activities
- Quebec Bar
- Indemnity Fund Committee (2002- )
- Lecturer, “Negotiation” and “Labour Law” modules, Quebec Bar Admission Course (2001- )
- Association des diplômés de l’Université Laval
- Chairman of the Board (2007-2008)
- 1st Vice-President (2003)
- Member of the Executive (2002- )
- Fondation de l’Université Laval (2005-2007)
- Royal Quebec Golf Club