Éric Dunberry practises in the areas of commercial litigation and alternative dispute resolution methods, particularly in cases involving energy, technology and product liability. He is a member of our Canadian management committee.
He represents clients before trial and appeal courts and regulatory agencies, as well as before parliamentary commissions regarding proposed changes to legislation. He is regularly retained by energy producers to advise on laws and regulations governing the energy sector. He has appeared before regulatory agencies and commissions in matters including rate setting, permitting and approvals, market surveillance and complaints. Mr. Dunberry also acts for and continues to represent pharmaceutical companies in the context of national class actions. He regularly negotiates and drafts commercial contracts for the construction and operation of energy projects. Mr. Dunberry has also been involved in developing various legal products relating to certification and legal audit in the context of electronic commerce.
LL.M., Technology Law, Université de Montréal, 2001
B.C.L., McGill University, 1986
M.Eng., Civil Engineering, McGill University/Imperial College of Science and Technology, 1984
B.Eng., Civil Engineering, McGill University, 1982
- Conferences on a variety of topics pertaining to energy and technology laws, including issues relating to regulation, liability and trade restrictions, risk and crisis management.
Rankings and recognitions
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2013: Energy: Power
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2013 - Class Action Litigation, Director and Officer Liability, Energy Regulatory Law, Product Liability Law, Technology Law
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2012 - recommended in Class Actions and Litigation - Product Liability
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2012 - Class Action Litigation, Director and Officer Liability, Product Liability
- 2011 Lexpert® Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-border Litigation Lawyers in Canada (US Litigation Guide), Litigation - Class actions
Memberships and activities
- Bar of Montréal
- Canadian Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec
- Lecturer, Faculty of Law, Université de Montréal
- Lecturer, Electronic Commerce Institute of Quebec (2000-2001)
- Examiner, Quebec Bar Admission Course (1993-1995)
- Lecturer, École Polytechnique de Montréal (1990-1995)