Derek G. Chiasson
Derek Chiasson is a member of our tax team. His principal focus is on income tax aspects of domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and corporate reorganizations.
He also has industry experience in the software sector, having served as vice-president, corporate development/strategy and legal affairs of a US public company listed on the NASDAQ exchange and a market leader in the video game industry.
B.C.L./LL.B., McGill University, 1996
In-Depth Tax Course, Parts I, II and III, C.I.C.A.
B.A., Western University, 1992
Selected client work
Mr. Chiasson has acted as counsel to the following clients:
- VW Credit Canada, Inc. in connection with the renewal of Volkswagen's €25 billion debt issuance program
- Kadant Inc. in connection with the acquisition by its subsidiary, Kadant Canada Corp., of Filtration Fibrewall Inc., a screen basket supplier, and the dewatering equipment product line of Services Techniques HDS Inc.
- McKesson Canada in the acquisition of Patient Direct Group and Specialized Health Care Corporation, an Oakville, Ontario-based specialty and biological drug distribution, patient support and direct-to-patient drug dispensing business
- Sverica International in connection with its purchase from Securus Technologies of software solutions company Syscon Justice Systems
- Celtic Therapeutics Holdings, L.P. and Kiacta Sàrl in connection with the acquisition and licensing from Bellus
- Health of the worldwide rights related to the Phase III investigational product candidate KiactaTM (eprodisate)
- Valeant Canada in connection with its acquisition of the shares of Vital Science and DermaGlow for $10.5 million
- Garda in a private placement in the United States and Canada of two series of 9.75% senior unsecured notes due 2017 in the aggregate principal amounts of US$250 million and $75 million, and a bank refinancing consisting of a $215 million secured three-year term loan and a $125 million secured three-year revolving credit facility
- The underwriting syndicate, led by RBC Dominion Securities, in connection with a bought deal secondary offering of common shares of Dollarama Inc. for $283 million
- Valeant Canada Limited and Valeant Pharmaceuticals North America in connection with the $23 million acquisition of Laboratoire Dr Renaud and Renaud Skin Care Laboratories
- “Income Tax - Corporate Finance - Recent Developments,” 44th Annual Canadian Tax Conference, Tax Executives Institute, 2010.
- “Certain Canadian Tax Aspects of Restructurings,” presentation at the Séminaire technique, Canadian Tax Foundation, 2009.
- “Impôt de la Partie XIII - Intérêts, Exemption 212(1)(b)(vii) LIR,” presentation at the Journées d'études fiscales, Canadian Tax Foundation, 2004.
- “Acquisition et réorganisation corporative,” the second in a series of three courses for the Association de planification fiscale et financière, 2003.
- “Divulgation volontaire,” paper presented at the Petits-déjeuners fiscaux, Canadian Tax Foundation, 2002.
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- CBA/CICA Joint Committee on Taxation
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- Former member, Planning Committee and Young Practitioners’ Committee
- Association de planification fiscale et financière