Nick J. Kangles
Nick Kangles’ practice focuses primarily on corporate and commercial law with an emphasis on counselling clients who are developing energy projects, including pipelines, processing facilities, LNG plants, oil sands projects, upgraders and power plants. His work involves share and asset acquisitions and dispositions, company and corporate governance matters and intellectual property matters. He also has extensive experience working with energy service companies, including drafting and negotiating services, drilling, engineering, procurement and construction contracts.
Prior to joining our Calgary office, Mr. Kangles was a partner of another Canadian national law firm. Before that, he spent 10 years in a number of senior legal and business positions with a major Canadian energy and petrochemicals firm. He has also served as a director of public and private corporations.
Mr. Kangles is one of the two leaders of our Canadian energy practice.
Year of call
LL.B., University of Alberta, 1979
B.Comm., University of Alberta, 1975
- “Risk Allocation Provisions in Energy Industry Agreements: Are We Getting it Right?” (co-author), Alberta Law Review, Volume 49, No. 2, December 2011.
- “Canadian Export Outlook,” panelist, Platts 12th Annual Liquefied Natural Gas New Supplies and Competition; Demand and Price Outlook, February 12, 2013.
- “The Use of Knock-for-Knock Indemnities in the Energy Industry in Alberta,” Canadian Bar Association, Natural Resources Section, January 11, 2012.
- “Risk Allocation Provisions in Energy Industry Agreements: Are We Getting it Right?” Canadian Energy Law Foundation Jasper Seminar, June 17, 2011.
- “Working With and Understanding Legal Boilerplate,” Insight 8th Edition Energy Contracts, September 21, 2010.
Rankings and recognitions
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2012-2013 - Energy
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Alberta
- Law Society of Saskatchewan