Gijs van Leeuwen
Gijs van Leeuwen is a banking and finance lawyer (advocaat) based in Amsterdam where he leads the banking and securities practice. He has advised on a wide range of banking, securities (debt and equity) and regulatory matters.
Gijs’ experience in banking and debt securities includes numerous asset and structured financing transactions (aircraft, ships, FPSOs) and acquisition and trade & commodity finance for many major banks, acting for banks and corporates on their debt issuance programmes and advising Dutch issuers on public and private placements of equities and bonds. In addition, Gijs specialises on the infrastructure of securities and derivatives markets and the clearing and settlement of trades. He advises clearing firms, central counterparties and prime brokers on their commercial agreements and rules, on margin finance and on their regulatory positions.
In the past Gijs advised on a variety of corporate finance-related transactions including mergers, disposals and asset divestments. He has extensive IPO experience, particularly in relation to technology companies and has acted for both issuers and underwriters on listings on the Amsterdam exchange.
Gijs graduated in Law at the Vrije Universiteit of Amsterdam.
- Corporate Governance in the Netherlands (Euromoney, 1990)
- Securities Law in the Netherlands (BNA International Inc, 1998), co-author
- Juridisch up to Date, 23 June 2005 - Een vogelvlucht over het nieuwe regime voor de aanbieding van effecten
- Juridisch up to Date, 12 October 2006 - VPV en de rol van de toezichthouders
- Juridisch up to Date, 1 March 2007 - Clearing en Settlement in beweging
- Juridisch up to Date, 17 January 2008 - Ontwikkelingen in het Europees betalingsverkeer
- Juridisch up to Date, 11 June 2009 - Aandelenlease: hoe nu verder?
Rankings and recognitions
- “Gijs van Leeuwen is praised as ‘responsive and client-oriented’.”
Chambers Europe, 2011
Memberships and activities
- Dutch Securities Law Association
- Dutch Association of Trade Law
- International Bar Association
- In May 2008 and in May 2009 Gijs co-presented the course Clearing & Settlement for the Academy of Applied Legal Studies (Academie voor Toegepaste Rechtswetenschappen). During that course Gijs presented the legal aspects of clearing and the clearing process