Michael Joyce is an M&A and projects lawyer with specialist expertise in the oil and gas, mining and infrastructure sectors based in Sydney.
Michael has over 22 years’ experience advising private sector and government clients including more than 19 years advising Japanese clients and two years as managing partner of the firm’s Singapore office.
Michael advises on: 1) the natural gas and oil value chains including acquisition of upstream assets and operational oil and gas field businesses, negotiation of joint operating agreements, farm in and farm out agreements, gas and oil supply arrangements, LNG off take agreements, LNG and oil project development and petroleum product supplies; 2) power project development; 3) infrastructure development including water, gas, rail and road projects; 4) mining projects including acquisition of mining tenements and operational mining businesses, negotiation of joint venture agreements, farm in and farm out agreements, operational mining issues including land access, engagement of mining services and other contractors, mine development and off take contracts and rail and port agreements.
Selected client work
- 2010 Advised Linc Energy in relation to the sale of coal mining tenements in Queensland to the Adani Group of India for A$3 billion.
- 2010 Advised a joint venturer in the Foxleigh Coal Joint Venture on the sale of its participating interest in the operational Foxleigh coking coal mine to Nippon Steel for A$95 million.
- 2010 Advised a major international corporate on the acquisition of an interest in a Queensland coal seam gas field for A$95 million.
- 2010 Advised a major international corporate on its farm in and joint venture arrangements with a listed Australian coal company.
- 2009 Advised a bidder for the Anglo Coal, coal seam assets in Queensland.
- Advised 2009 a bidder for the Tipton West Coal seam gas interests of Beach Petroleum.
- 2009 Advised a bidder in relation to its bid for certain coal assets owned by Felix Resources
- 2009 Advised on the acquisition of an Equipment hire business in Queensland.
- 2008 Advised a bidder for certain Western Australian Thermal Coal assets valued at in excess of A$100 million.
- 2008 Advised a bidder for certain coal seam gas assets held by Sunshine Gas and in relation to a downstream LNG development prior to Sunshine’s takeover by QGC.
- 2007 – 2008 Advised one of the sellers on the sale of its interest in the Foxleigh Coal Mine in Queensland.
- 2006 Advised a major Japanese corporate on its bid for the gas distribution assets of Allgas in Queensland.
- 2006 Advised Delta Mining on its bid for a NSW based coal mine.
- 2005 Advised a bidder for a gas-fired co-generation facility in Western Australia.
- 2003 – 2004 Advised Resolute Resources on the acquisition of Carpentaria Gold from Xstrata.
- 2003-2004 Advised Sandefer Capital Partners on the acquisition of Southern Pacific Petroleum (now QERL).
- 1996 Advised on the acquisition (in consortium) of Yallourn W Power Station in Victoria for A$2.45 billion and on its subsequent sale in 2001 to China Light & Power.
Oil, gas and infrastructure
- 2011 Currently advising an offtaker and equity investor in a major LNG project under development in Western Australia.
- 2011 Currently advising a major corporate in relation to its involvement in the development of one of the leading LNG projects at Gladstone in Queensland.
- 2007-2011 - Advising a major Japanese oil company on a number of its international commercial agreements and projects including in the Middle East, Europe, Asia and Australia.
- 2011 Advised a bidder in relation to its bid for the Bahrain LNG project.
- 2010-2011 Advised a bidder for the Gold Coast Light Rail Project in Queensland.
- 2009-2010 Advised a major Japanese corporate on its master LNG off take arrangements with Oman LNG LLC.
- 2009 – 2010 Advised a major Japanese corporate on its master LNG off take arrangements with Qatargas.
- 2009 – 2010 Advised a major Japanese corporate on its long term and master LNG off take arrangements with Chevron from the Gorgon gas field in Western Australia.
- 2009 Advised a major participant in the successful Aquasure Consortium bid for the design, construction, financing and operation of the A$3.5 billion Victorian PPP desalination project.
- 2008 Advised Queensland Gas Company in relation to a proposed new gas fired power plant in NSW prior to its takeover by British Gas.
- 2007 – 2008 Advised a consortium in relation to the Surat Basin rail line to Gladstone.
- 2007 – 2008 Advised Delta Electricity on the construction of a gas storage and transportation pipeline to service its new 660mw gas fired power plant in NSW.
- 2007 Advised BOC Gases (a member of The Linde Group) on its development of an industrial gases plant adjacent to a Victorian Paper mill.
- 2006 – 2010 Advised CS Energy in relation to its Oxy-Fuel clean coal technology project.
- 2004 – 2009 Advised a Government corporation in relation to its development of a 180MW wind farm development in Victoria and brown field redevelopment of a gas fired power station in Queensland.
- 2006 Advised a listed Australian company on its development of two gas fired power stations in Queensland.
- Advised the Department of Energy in Queensland (DOE) on the implementation of Full Retail Competition in 2006, drafted amendments to the transmission provisions of the National Electricity Rules for the DOE in 2005 and drafted amendment to the Gas Retail Market Industry Code in Queensland for DOE to allow retail competition in the above over 1TJ market.
- 2004 -2005 Advised Callide Power Management on the construction of a water pipeline to assist in reducing evaporation losses associated with supply of water to the Collide C Powerplant.
- Advised one of the two consortium partners on the construction of Collie Power Station in WA (1993-98), on bids to construct the Tarong North, Swanbank E, Pelican Point Power stations (1997-2000) and the Botany Co-Generation project (1995-2002).
- 2003-2006 Advised Alcan regarding gas supply to and expansion of Alcan’s Gove Alumina refinery and on various mining and exploration related issues.
- Advised a range of Australian and multinational trading, utility and resources companies on a range of energy and infrastructure projects.
- 2011 - Advising a multinational on its arrangements with a listed mining company to farm-in to a copper project in Papua New Guinea.
- 2009-2011 - Advised a Japanese multinational on its farm-in and joint venture arrangements with Coalworks Limited. Work included drafting all farm-in and joint venture documentation and advising on joint venture and marketing structuring arrangements.
- 2007-2011 Advised Isaac Plains Coal Management on all aspects of its coal mining operations at the Isaac Plains Coal mine including advising on the expansion of the mine, rail and port capacity arrangements, engagement of third party contractors including tier 1 mining contractors, joint venture arrangements, land access and overlapping tenure issues, co-operation and co-ordination agreement with coal seam gas owners and environmental issues.
- 2007-2011 Advised Eagle Downs Coal Management on all aspects of the development of the Eagle Downs Coal Mine including advising on rail and port capacity arrangements, power and network access issues, joint venture arrangements, land access and overlapping tenure issues, co-operation and co-ordination agreement with coal seam gas owners and environmental issues.
- 2008-2011 - Advised Environmental Clean Technologies on coal sales and project development arrangements.
- 2007-2009 - Advised a joint venture owned by Vale of Brazil and Aquila Resources on its arrangements to acquire from Anglo Coal and Exxaro certain rights in relation to mining tenements and also advised on the co-operation, co-ordination and consent agreements necessary to facilitate the acquisition.
- 2006-2009 - Advised a multinational on the reorganisation of all of its coal mining joint ventures in Australia.
- 2004-2009 - Advised Xstrata (and formerly Noranda Falconbridge) on its development of the Lady Loretta zinc/lead project in Queensland.
- Advising a broad range of mining clients on acquisition of tenements, mine development, regulatory compliance, joint ventures, land access and compensation, overlapping tenure issues, long term rail and port capacity arrangements, engagement of mining services contractors and third party consultants and off take contracts.