James H. Coleman, QC
Jim Coleman has been involved in banking, corporate, securities, mining and oil and gas transactions in Canada, the United States, Europe, Central and South America, Africa and Asia. He has also been involved in a number of large divestments and acquisitions, corporate reorganizations and major financings within the energy sector.
As a director of a number of public companies, including mining and oil and gas companies, Mr. Coleman has chaired various independent committees of public companies relating to corporate, governance and securities matters.
Year of call
LL.B., Dalhousie University, 1974
B.Bus.Admin., Saint Francis Xavier University, 1971
- Editor, Oil and Gas chapter, O’Briens Encyclopedia of Forms
- Author, various legal papers, including "Banking and Loan Arrangements" for the Legal Education Society of Alberta Corporate Commercial Group
- Chair, various seminars on banking law and practice and has presented papers on matters relating to Investment Canada and resource law
Rankings and recognitions
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Alberta
- Calgary Bar Association
- Subcommittee to review corporate directors’ issues relating to the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
- Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada
- Calgary Petroleum Club
- Governor and executive committee, Saint Francis Xavier University
- Co-chair, major donor division of the United Way of Calgary and Area.