“Thanks to its significant global footprint, Norton Rose is in a position to advise market-leading organisations on both UAE and regional IP matters.”
Chambers Global, 2012
Our Middle East intellectual property team provides a dedicated and specialised service to a range of clients on both local and cross-border mandates, working closely with our IP colleagues throughout Europe, Asia, Australia, Canada, and Africa.
We understand the importance of intellectual property to a business’s success and regularly advise on all aspects of the exploitation and use of intellectual property rights and the acquisition and use of information technology products and services. We work with the full range of IP rights, including patents, unregistered and registered designs, copyright, database rights and trade marks.
Our specialist industry knowledge coupled with our intellectual property expertise ensures that we are able to provide innovative and cost effective advice to clients throughout our key industry sectors: financial institutions; energy; infrastructure, mining and commodities; transport; technology and innovation; and pharmaceuticals and life sciences.
Our areas of work include:
- branding, marketing and advertising
- commercial agreements (including IP licensing, technology transfer, franchising, R&D, supply and distribution, and assignment)
- data protection
- dispute resolution
- IP strategy review
- privacy policies
- rights acquisition
- transactional support (including M&A and financing projects)
Our recent work:
- Advising NewBridge Pharmaceuticals on licences, marketing and distribution agreements in the Africa and Middle East region.
- Advising a major international cosmetics and beauty brand on data privacy issues in relation to its Middle East business.
- Advising a Middle East telecoms operator on branding issues in the context of a consortium bid with an international operator for a GSM licence in the Kingdom of Bahrain.
- Advising various investors on the IP aspects of investment in technology and IP rich companies, such as a Jordanian animation business, a manufacturer of iris recognition technology and a Middle East publishing business.
- Advising an Abu Dhabi-based medical device manufacturer on confidentiality and patent licensing issues.