Banking and finance
“The firm has a particularly strong client base among banks, providing top-end financing, corporate and regulatory advice, often with regard to loans to subsurface industry clients.
Legal 500, 2012
Our Central Asia banking and finance team forms an important part of our global banking and finance group. We advise a range of prominent financial institutions and corporations on all aspects of banking law at the local, regional and international level. Working closely with our banking lawyers throughout Europe, Asia, Australia, Canada, Africa, the Middle East and Latin America, we provide an integrated service on complex cross-border financings and transactions across the globe.
Structured financing for oil and gas projects is a significant aspect of our practice in Kazakhstan and Central Asia. Our clients comprise domestic and foreign banks, borrowers and lenders, investors and lending institutions, as well as major corporates across our key industry sectors: financial institutions; energy; infrastructure, mining and commodities; transport; technology and innovation; and pharmaceuticals and life sciences.
Our areas of work include:
- capital markets funding
- derivatives and structured products
- dispute resolution
- Islamic finance
- recourse mechanisms
- standard and multi-faceted transactions (including swaps, bridge financing facilities and other financial products and financing structures)
- structured and limited financing products
- syndicated loans
Our recent work:
- Advising The Eurasian Development Bank (EABR) on the project financing with VTB Capital of a $800 million third power unit at the Ekibastuz GRES-2 power station
- Advising JSC KazTransOil (KTO), the state-owned Kazakhstan oil pipeline grid operator, on a loan facility led and arranged by the EBRD to refinance debt incurred in constructing part of its 448km oil pipeline connecting oilfields in the Aktyubinsk and Atyrau regions of central Kazakhstan to the Caspian Pipeline Consortium and the Atyrau-Samara export pipelines
- Advising JSC NC KazMunaiGas on a $3 billion acquisition finance facility from the Export-Import Bank of China for a joint venture with CNPC to acquire one of Kazakhstan’s largest oil companies, JSC Mangistaumunaigas
- Advising Societe Generale, Natixis and Sberbank of Russia on $280 million a bridge loan facility to Nord Gold N.V. to finance the acquisition of all the outstanding shares of High River Gold Mines Ltd
- Advising International Finance Corporation on a $30 million loan facility and equity investment in Eastcomtrans LLP, the largest private railcar leasing company in Kazakhstan
More information on our global banking and finance practice