“Norton Rose Gaikokuho Jimu Bengoshi Jimusho is well known for its project finance, asset finance and syndicated lending expertise”
Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2013
Our Japan banking and finance team is a vital part of our Asia-wide practice and acts as a gateway to our other regional offices. We work closely with our Asia Pacific banking colleagues on region-wide banking and finance mandates. We can also draw upon the expertise of our global banking and finance group for complex cross-border banking transactions throughout Europe, Asia, Australia, Canada, Africa, the Middle East, Latin America and Central Asia.
We provide English law advice to a number of investment and commercial banks and are experienced in structuring teams resourced from our multidisciplinary practice, working closely with our corporate team on the full range of banking and finance matters. Our lawyers have also accumulated a high level of local know-how which enables them to work hand in hand with our correspondent Japanese law firms where local law advice is required.
We complement deep industry expertise with a thorough understanding of local and international banking laws, providing high quality advice to prominent corporations throughout our key industry sectors: financial institutions; energy; infrastructure, mining and commodities; transport; technology and innovation; and pharmaceuticals and life sciences.
Our areas of work include:
- asset finance (including shipping and aviation)
- energy & utilities finance
- project finance
- trade, commodity and export finance
Our recent work:
- Advising Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC) and Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation (SMBC) on the US$250 million financing of two new generation Ramform Titan-class seismic survey vessels to Petroleum Geo-Services ASA
- Advising Toyota Tsusho Corporation (TTC) on the first long-term sales agreement for Coal Bed Methane (CBM) for a Japanese company
More information on our global banking and finance practice