Gennaro is a banking lawyer based in Milan. He specialises in project finance (energy and infrastructure) and shipping finance.
In the project finance sector, Gennaro has vast experience of advising on renewable energy (solar and wind) projects and has also advised on export financings supported by SACE and other export credit agencies.
In the shipping sector, Gennaro has advised many domestic and international banks and financial institutions on shipping and shipping finance matters (including fleet financings, registration of vessels under Italian flag and acquisition of shipping companies).
Gennaro graduated with honours from the University of Naples in 1999 and qualified as an Italian lawyer in 2002. Prior to joining our practice in 2008, he worked in Milan and London for major international legal practices and he also worked as an in-house lawyer for the Italian bank, Banca d’Intermediazione Mobiliare IMI S.p.A.
Gennaro is a native Italian speaker and he is fluent in English.
Selected client work
- advised the project company Bre.Be.Mi S.p.A. (BreBeMi) on the financing for a major 62 kilometres toll highway project in Northern Italy. The highway will connect the cities of Brescia, Bergamo and Milan.
- advised Sumitomo Corporation on the acquisition of 85 percent stakes in two Italian solar power subsidiaries of German-based S.A.G. Solarstrom.
- advised the Aspria Group, one of Europe's finest spa and family sporting club operators, on the financing aspects of the acquisition of Harbour Club Sporting and Spa in Milan, the top-rated club in Italy.
- advised Interbanca, Centrobanca, MPSC Capital Services and Banca Etruria in connection with a €50 million project financing for the development, construction and management of a 12MW biomass plant near Rome, fuelled by pomace - the residue which remains after grapes have been pressed in the process of making wine or grappa - generated by the distillery of Distillerie Bonollo S.p.A, one of the largest grappa producers in Italy.
- advised lead arranger Unicredit Corporate Banking and a syndicate of banks on a €135 million loan to Autostrade Centro Padane for the development of several strategic highway projects in northern Italy. The syndicate of banks included Unicredit Infrastructure, Cassa Depositi e Prestiti SpA and Cassa di Risparmio di Parma e Piacenza S.p.A.
Rankings and recognitions
- Chambers Europe 2012 (Shipping)
“Shipping is an important focus for this global firm and the same is true of its Italian practice. Although not involved in regular shipping transactions, it is highly active in shipping finance matters and has sustained a healthy deal flow despite the challenging economic climate. The group recently advised the European Investment Bank on a EUR150 million financing package provided to Grimaldi Compagnia di Navigazione for the acquisition of new vessels. Gennaro Mazzuoccolo is the main practice contact.”
- Chambers Europe 2011 (Shipping)
“This shipping practice is incorporated into the firm's banking department and is dedicated to advising banks on shipping finance matters. Benefiting from an extensive international network, the team recently advised UniCredit on a EUR30 million financing for tug boats. Clients praise the quality of the service received, commenting that the group “is able to attend to all our needs. Partner Gennaro Mazzuoccolo is the main contact for shipping work.”
Memberships and activities
Gennaro is co-author of numerous publications on banking and finance law, including the Italian chapter in the World Bank Doing Business Survey 2009. He is also a regular speaker at conventions and seminars on project finance and energy law and shipping finance.