“This seasoned team is especially well known for its insolvency capabilities”
Chambers Asia, 2013
Our global insolvency team has considerable experience of acting for financial institutions and other creditors, as well as insolvency office holders appointed to proceedings throughout Europe, Asia, Australia, Canada, Africa, the Middle East, Latin America and Central Asia.
The team is comprised of acknowledged experts in insolvency and insolvency litigation, and is also able to call upon the expertise of specialists in the fields of acquisition finance, aviation, banking, construction, corporate finance, employment, financial services, insurance, intellectual property and technology, Islamic finance, pensions, projects, property and tax to provide you with a comprehensive contentious and non-contentious service.
- Particular expertise across our key industry sectors: financial institutions; energy; infrastructure, mining and commodities; transport; technology and innovation; and pharmaceuticals and life sciences.
- Experience at the forefront of complex cross-border insolvency work and involvement in some of the most newsworthy transactions throughout the globe.
Our areas of work include:
- Asset tracing
- Debt restructuring
- Distressed M&A
- Equity capital markets raising
- Formal insolvency
Our recent work:
- Advising the US Trustee of Lehman Brothers Inc. (LBI) in relation to the protection of his interests in the UK and certain other jurisdictions outside the US. In particular, we have (1) successfully represented the Trustee in the Supreme Court in the "Client Money" litigation concerning the segregation, ownership and identification of funds held by Lehman Europe for its clients; and (2) in the High Court in the "Extended Liens" case concerning the validity and effectiveness of security interests purportedly created in favour of affiliated companies by standard Lehman Europe custody agreements.
- Advising Nortel in its international insolvency proceedings which included the divestitures of multiple international business units (which to date have generated proceeds in excess of $7 billion) and dealing with all claims within Canada and from international affiliates.
- Advising KPMG Inc. in cross-border insolvency proceedings involving Aero Inventory UK Ltd., leading suppliers of aircraft parts to airlines around the world. On behalf of KPMG Inc., we brought a motion arguing that the proceeds of a $77 million preference action would be subject to the rights of secured creditors.
- Advising Ferrier Hodgson, the voluntary administrators and now liquidators of Sonray, one of Australia's largest providers of CFDs and other complex synthetic financial instruments.