Marine casualty and admiralty
‘Norton Rose is highly rated for its work on admiralty, marine insurance and casualty response matters…Sources highlight the team's “serious international reach,” and comment that it is “a really top-quality firm with a top shipping practice”.’
Chambers UK, 2013
We are one of the few global legal practices able to provide all the services needed by all sectors of the shipping industry including shipowners, operators and managers, hull, cargo and liability insurers, oil majors and offshore contracting companies. Shipping has been at the core of our 200-year history. We are one of the world’s leading transport practices. The geographic coverage of our shipping disputes specialists is unrivalled.
Operating across Europe, Asia, Australia, Canada, Africa and the Middle East, we deliver expert advice on a range of casualties, drawing on the experience of our in-house mariners.
Renowned for our expertise in the passenger and cruise ship market, our experience of marine crisis management also extends to ferries, containerships, tankers and dry cargo ships, where we have been lead advisers in numerous casualties. In the offshore energy sector, we have long experience of casualties and investigations, as well as disaster management and response.
Marine casualty emergency response
|Europe||+44 20 7283 6000|
|Asia Pacific, including Australia||+61 7 3414 2276|
|Africa||+27 31 582 5630|
We offer you
- Industry expertise; members of the team have OPITO certificates, allowing them to travel safely to rigs and offshore installations to conduct interviews and investigations.
- Familiarity with the risks of operating ships, and in particular the environmental risks of oil and other types of pollution.
- Extensive knowledge of regulatory regimes around the world.
- The benefit of working with a full-service international legal practice; we can draw upon the expertise of our dedicated lawyers throughout: corporate, shipping, marine insurance, environment, energy, ligitation and dispute resolution.
Our areas of work include:
- arrest of ships/exercising liens
- damage to rigs
- emergency response plans
- environmental damage
- investigations by national authorities
- loss of life and personal injury
- offshore structures and terminals
- regulatory matters
- risk management
- routine drills
- salvage/towage/wreck removal
- total or partial loss (through collision, explosion or fire, grounding or stranding)
Our recent work:
- Rena – advising the vessel’s Owners and Insurers in all matters arising from this grounding and total loss off New Zealand in October 2011.
- B.Oceania – advising the vessel’s Owners and Insurers after she sank in the Malacca Straits following a collision in 2011.
- Young Lady/CATS Pipeline – advising the Operators of a major sub sea pipeline after a tanker dragged her anchor across the pipe causing significant damage and loss of use.
- Brillante Virtuoso – advising Insurers in relation to a claim for a total loss and loss of hire following an attack and fire on board this VLCC off Aden in 2011.
- Salvaliant – advising the vessel’s Owners and P&I insurers following the stranding of11 barges, floating dock and a pontoon off Cape Town.
- Angel 1 – advising the Hull and Machinery Underwriters in all matters arising from this grounding off Mauritius in 2012.