Litigation and dispute resolution
‘Norton Rose's broad litigation practice handles a range of high-value and complex cross-border disputes, and acts for star clients such as BP, Visa, ExxonMobil and the Republic of Kazakhstan…Commentators describe the litigation practice as “a class act: impressive, strategic and with some very good people”.’
Chambers UK, 2013
Our global litigation and dispute resolution team advises many of the world’s largest corporations and financial institutions on complex, high-value and sensitive multi-jurisdictional disputes. Our team of over 500 disputes lawyers across Europe, Asia, Australia, Canada, Africa, the Middle East, Latin America and Central Asia provides an integrated and high quality service to all of our clients.
With experience of managing multi-jurisdictional litigation and international arbitration across all industry sectors, our lawyers both prevent and resolve disputes by giving practical, creative advice which focuses on our clients' strategic objectives. We do not subscribe to any particular style of dispute resolution and recognise that each dispute is governed by a unique set of variables, sensitivities and, most importantly, commercial factors.
- The full range of litigation and dispute resolution options, ranging from class action, international arbitration, and insolvency proceedings, to all forms of ADR, including mediation.
- Tailored advice on a case by case basis.
- The ability to transfer knowledge and provide cross-border support throughout our global network of offices.
Our areas of work include:
- alternative dispute resolution
- class actions
- fraud and asset recovery
- international arbitration
- public international law
- regulatory investigations
- risk management
- white collar crime
Our recent work:
- Advising the US Trustee of the Liquidation of Lehman Brothers Inc on English law issues arising in the liquidation.
- Advising the owners and insurers of the Rena containership which grounded in the Bay of Plenty, New Zealand in October 2011 from our offices in Singapore, Australia, London, South Africa and Greece.
- Representing ArcelorMittal and Baffinland Iron Ore Mines in the defence of a C$800 million class action concerning the purchase of Baffinland Iron Ore Mines by ArcelorMittal and Nunavut Iron Ore.
- Advising Pfizer in a patent infringement action pertaining to Viagra®.
- Achieving a successful result in the Commercial Court of Paris for GDF SUEZ and three ship-owners over the late delivery of three LNG carriers.
- Achieving a significant judgment in the first part of a split trial in favour of our clients, the joint liquidators of Britannia Bulk plc. The decision confirmed market understanding of the meaning of close out netting provisions used in the vast majority of over-the-counter derivatives contracts.
- Representing Nortel Networks Corporation and Nortel Networks Limited in their insolvency proceedings as part of one of the most complex restructurings in Canadian history.
Awards and accolades:
- Top 15 international arbitration practice, 2013, Global Arbitration Review