We have advised on many high-profile international pipeline transactions. We are familiar with the recurring issues that impact on these often complex commercial arrangements and, when the transaction requires, we are known in the market for our use of innovative structuring to reach commercial and financial closure.
Norton Rose is a member of the Legal Advisory Task Force on Cross-Border oil & gas pipelines for the Energy Charter Secretariat. We have also advised on the development and drafting of two Model Agreements - the Intergovernmental Agreement on Cross-Border Oil & Gas Pipelines, and the Host Government Agreement on Cross-Border Oil & Gas Pipelines.
Cross-border pipelines in many markets such as the EU raise challenging issues relating to competition and regulation. We are at the forefront of developing solutions such as auction mechanisms and capacity contracts with “use it or lose it” provisions.
Our clients include shippers, transporters, contractors, financiers and governments on numerous large scale oil and gas pipeline projects, both onshore and sub-sea, and domestic and cross-border.
We advise clients on all aspects of oil and natural gas pipeline arrangements, including:
- joint venture arrangements
- engineering, procurement, installation and commissioning (EPIC) contracts for pipelines
- gas transportation agreements
- allocation and attribution agreements
- inter-shipper/cross-user liability agreements
- proximity, crossing and tie-in agreements
- planning and environmental approvals and issues
- financing arrangements
- host government agreements and intergovernmental agreements/international treaties for cross-border pipelines