‘Client Service “I think Norton Rose is the best asset finance firm. Its documents are the clearest and it has more partner involvement. A class act.”… Commercial Awareness “They focus on asset finance so they have a deep team, long-standing knowledge of deals they've been involved in, and they know all the lessors and lessees.”’
Chambers UK, 2012
Operating from offices across Europe, Asia, Australia, Canada, Africa, the Middle East, Latin America and Central Asia, our global shipping finance team has pioneered the development of many cutting-edge financial products.
We advise a range of clients on the full spectrum of international shipping finance, including work for banks, lessors, brokers, owners and operators of offshore and sub-sea installations, oil majors, LNG operators, shipbuilders and repairers, container shippers and cruise ship and super yacht owners and operators.
- Specialised focus on the shipping industry as a core industry sector for the firm.
- The benefit of working with a multidisciplinary international legal practice; we can draw upon the expertise of our global specialists in corporate, shipping, tax, capital markets, and other practice areas, to provide a full-service approach to all of our shipping clients.
Our areas of work include:
- Capital markets
- Mortgage lending
- Negotiation of shipbuilding contracts, charters and shipping pools
- Port financing
- Purchase, registration and disposal of ships and shipping companies
- Ship-secured and unsecured loan financing
- Structured finance (including tax-leveraged financing products, securitisation and cross-border leasing)
Our recent work:
- Advising a major European bank on the structuring of a securitisation of its shipping loans.
- Advising the arranger on the structuring of an innovative securitisation of shipping loans originated by a Greek conglomerate.
- Advising on a ground breaking joint venture between ABN AMRO Bank N.V. and QInvest, a leading Islamic finance investment bank, for setting up a Shariah compliant mezzanine finance shipping fund, and advising on the structuring and implementation of investments.
- Advising the sponsors of the China Ship Fund, a planned US$3 billion fund established to invest in shipping and shipping-related assets.
- Advising a German KG House on the structuring of a feeder fund for investment of institutional investors in a shipping fund of funds for opportunistic investments.