International trade and WTO
Companies the world over face a wide array of issues when conducting cross border business and trade - ranging from customs transfer pricing and export control matters, to anti-dumping duties, to specific national laws applicable to the sector in which they do business.
Frequently, there are obstacles that need to be overcome and which sometimes contravene WTO or other international trade law or treaty obligations and commitments. Such trade rules for example prohibit discrimination on the grounds of nationality in the case of foreign investment and public tenders, they outlaw customs barriers on consumer goods imposed for arbitrary or sham reasons of public health, they forbid tax discrimination, and they restrict the use of trade sanctions and other protectionist measures.
A leading international trade practice
Norton Rose helps clients navigate the various trade laws and obstacles to trade so as to gain the widest possible access to international markets in pursuit of their business and export trade development goals. We advise clients on legal aspects of pricing practices and market strategies to minimise the risks and impact of trade actions, and we equally assist clients in the strategic use of trade law remedies to maintain level playing fields in domestic markets.
Relying on the following strengths, our International Trade and WTO group has acquired a leading reputation:
- Our specialist lawyers are located in offices across five continents.
- We have significant experience in international public matters, with a former prime minister and a former UN ambassador in our team.
- We offer a total package, covering the full range of trade law advice to companies and governments around the world.
- We rely on unparalleled industry expertise in energy, steel, apparel and footwear, commodities, mining, life sciences, technology and other sectors where trade issues frequently arise.
We invite you to find out more about us and our approach to the work that we do: commercial, pragmatic, innovative.
“The best law firm I have worked with in 25 years”
Chambers Global (Canada), 2011
A full-service trade law offering
We offer the full range of trade law advice to companies and States around the world including:
- Dumping, subsidies and safeguards.
- Customs classification, valuation and origin.
- Import/export controls and sanctions.
- General and sector-specific market access issues.
- Dispute settlement under WTO and other regional and international trade agreements.
- Government procurement negotiation, bidding support and bid challenge and representation.
In particular we assist clients in dealing with every aspects of anti-dumping and anti-subsidy proceedings including helping client response to questionnaires, assisting them in on-site audits and verification visits and representing their interests before the relevant government authorities and tribunals. Our expertise in customs matters helps clients deal with the full range of customs matters, including audits and appeals to tribunals and courts from adverse decisions by national customs authorities.