Jackie heads the transactional team of the Banking and Finance team in the practice and has over 15 years experience as a banking and finance attorney. Jackie is a highly experienced banking and finance lawyer who advises on numerous finance transactions. Jackie specialises in project finance, structured finance, syndicated lending, preference share finance, trade and commodity finance and property finance.
Jackie focuses on financial institutions, energy, telecoms and mining. She has been frequently listed as a leading lawyer in Chambers Global and IFLR 1000. She has been recommended for her work in structured finance and project finance and has been described as “very hands-on and full of energy and perseverance” and “intellectually rigorous, extremely thorough and really understands the needs of the banks”.
Widely recognised for her outstanding service to her clients, Jackie has been chosen as the exclusive winner of the banking category for South Africa in International Law Office (ILO) Client Choice Awards 2012. Some of the glowing comments include “outcome-oriented, with informed yet practical suggestion and solutions”, “unrivalled professionalism in overcoming the complexities of the varied shareholders and their needs”, as well as “exceptional knowledge and skill of corporate finance and especially project finance, encompassing excellent negotiation skills”.
Jackie co-chairs the working committee of the South African Loan Market Association which converts English law primary and secondary loan documentation into a suite of South African law documents. This is a prestigious appointment and cements the practice’s credentials as a top tier banking and finance practice in South Africa.
Jackie is actively involved in the management of the South African practice, is a member of the supervisory board and of its remuneration committee. Jackie holds the degrees of B.Com (Wits) LLB (Wits) H.Dip Co law (Wits) and H.Dip Tax law (Wits).
Selected client work
Recent experience includes:
- Mandated Lead Arrangers and Lenders - currently advising the MLAs and lenders in relation to proposed development and financing of a 300MW circulating fluidised bed coal fired power plant in Mpumalanga;
- Absa Capital -American Towers - currently advising Absa Capital in relation to acquisition financing to American Towers Corporation for the acquisition of cellular tower sites from Cell C;
- Investec Bank Limited - Gold One International Limited/Rand Uranium Acquisition – currently advising Investec Bank Limited in providing finance to Gold One International Limited for the acquisition of Rand Uranium shares and assets;
- Absa Capital - acting for Absa Capital in restructuring debt finance facilities, to Merafe Resources Limited;
- Absa Capital - TCTA – currently advising Absa Capital in relation to financing to TCTA in relation to a water augmentation project with quasi government recourse;
- Neotel, South Africa – acting as advisors to Neotel (Proprietary) Limited in relation to ZAR 4,4 billion limited recourse finance and the ZAR180 million property financing facility provided by Nedbank Limited and Investec Bank Limited and currently advising Neotel in the restructuring of its long term debt finance of ZAR 4, 4 Billion;
- Richards Bay Minerals Black Economic Empowerment Transaction - acted for Rio Tinto Plc, Rio Tinto Limited, BHP Billiton Plc and Richards Bay Minerals in the implementation of the debt and preference share financing related aspects of its black economic empowerment transaction for the value of ZAR15, 7 billion;
- Standard Chartered Bank - Boseto Copper Project, Botswana – acted as advisors to Standard Chartered Bank, Standard Bank, Credit Suisse and Caterpillar Financial SARL in relation to project financing facilities to Discovery Copper Botswana (Proprietary) Limited for the Boseto Copper Project in Botswana;
- Absa Capital - Edcon refinancing, South Africa - acted for Absa Capital, FirstRand Bank Limited (through Rand Merchant Bank), JP Morgan and Royal Bank of Scotland on refinancing of credit and hedging facilities to Edcon (Proprietary) Limited in an amount of ZAR2,5 billion Rand;
- Lender Consortium - MTN Group – Lead partner in advising Lender Consortium of 9 lenders in relation to a ZAR6 billion facilities provided to MTN Group Limited and its subsidiaries;
- Lender Consortium - Exxaro Resources Project, South Africa - acted for FirstRand Bank Limited (through Rand Merchant Bank), Investec Bank Limited, Citibank, Nedbank Limited, Standard Chartered Bank, the Standard Bank of South Africa Limited, the Development Bank of South Africa Limited and Industrial Development Corporation of South Africa Limited on credit facilities to Exxaro Resources Limited in an amount of ZAR4, 5 billion Rand.
- Standard Bank South Africa/Nedbank – currently advising The Standard Bank of South Africa and Nedbank Capital in relation to the 135MW ACED Cookhouse wind farm under the RE IPP Procurement Programme that has been awarded preferred bidder status under Phase 1;
- Standard Bank South Africa - currently advising The Standard Bank of South Africa in relation to proposed 26.19MW Metrowind Van Stadens wind farm under the RE IPP Procurement Programme that has been awarded preferred bidder status under Phase 1;
- Abengoa Solar International/Industrial Development Corporation – currently advising Abengoa Solar International and the Industrial Development Corporation as Sponsors counsel in respect of a 100 MW CSP solar plant project and a 50MW CSP solar plant project under the under RE IPP Programme that have both been selected as the only preferred bidder under Phase 1;
- Nedbank – currently advising Nedbank Capital as lenders’ legal counsel on the financing of three wind energy generating facilities in the Northern Cape with a combined wind energy generating capacity of 205MW;
- IDC/DBSA- Advising the Industrial Development Corporation of South Africa and the Development Bank of South Africa with their financing of a 40MW solar photovoltaic energy generating facility in the Northern Cape;
- Nedbank/IDC - Advising Nedbank Capital and the Industrial Development Corporation of South Africa with the financing of RustMo1 Solar Farm, a renewable energy generating facility in Rustenburg with a solar photovoltaic energy generating capacity of 7MW, which was awarded preferred bidder status under Phase 1;
- Nedbank/IDC- Advising Nedbank Capital and the Industrial Development Corporation of South Africa as lenders’ legal counsel with the financing of two renewable energy generating facilities, Mulilo Renewable Energy Solar PV De Aar and Mulilo Renewable Energy Solar PV Prieska, with a combined solar photovoltaic energy generating capacity of 30MW, which were awarded preferred bidder status under Phase 1;
- Nedbank/IDC - Advising Nedbank Capital and the Industrial Development of South Africa as lenders’ legal counsel on the financing of two renewable energy generating facilities, the 9.65MW Konkoonsies Solar PV project and the 9.65MW Aries Solar PV project; which were both awarded Preferred bidder status under Phase 1;
- Nedbank - Advising Nedbank Capital as lenders’ legal counsel on the financing of a renewable energy generating facilities in Vryburg with a solar photovoltaic energy generating capacity of 17MW;