Shipping has been one of Norton Rose’s core strengths since the firm’s founding more than 200 years ago. We regularly receive plaudits for our transport - shipping, rail and aviation - expertise. We are ranked by Chambers & Partners in band one for shipping finance globally as well as in several jurisdictions worldwide. In February 2011 we were named legal house of the year in Jane’s Transport Finance awards in recognition of our broadly based market leading transport practice.
We offer full-service shipping advice across 15 offices internationally, with more than 100 specialist shipping lawyers advising clients in all sectors within the global shipping industry including commercial and investment banks, lessors, shipowners, charterers, shipyards, P&I clubs and ship managers.
Hamburg is the foremost shipping location in Germany. With the opening of our Hamburg office in May 2011 we continue to develop and strengthen our shipping practice.
Our capabilities in Germany include:
- sale and purchase of newbuildings and second-hand tonnage
- financing of vessels of any type
- restructuring of debt
- worldwide representation in courts or arbitration tribunals
- all corporate issues including sale and purchase as well as restructuring of companies within the maritime industry
- ship arrests in all relevant jurisdictions
- admiralty (including a 24 hour emergency hotline by our London expert team)
- marine insurance.
See also our global shipping expertise page.