Stable and affordable energy supply is the backbone of every economy. Global climate change and rising prices for conventional energy sources have brought the need for the development of renewable energies into a strong focus. Germany is a global pioneer in this field due to the long-term development of renewable energies and its strong position in engineering. Some members of our team have supported this development for more than 10 years both from within this industry and as part of their law practice.
Norton Rose has recognised the decisive role of the energy sector; hence we have made energy to one of our international key industry strengths. In Germany, this is reflected in both the size of our team, which includes 20 specialised energy lawyers across our three offices, and in the wide range of advisory services as well as our long-standing expertise in all areas of energy law. In relation to cross-border issues, our clients benefit from the strong position of our global energy practice.
- Construction, acquisition, financing – including financing of KG funds, profit participation capital and projects by issuing shares – as well as the sale of power plants, particularly in the field of renewable energies (wind onshore and offshore, solar energy, geothermal energy, biomass and biogas)
- Company acquisition agreements, joint ventures and initial public offerings (IPOs)
- Licence and distribution agreements in the field of bio energy
- Plant construction agreements and maintenance agreements in the field of power plant and pipeline construction
- Electricity, gas and emission rights trading and derivatives thereof
- Sustainability strategies
- Tax advice regarding renewable energy projects
- Antitrust, competition and regulatory
Partners in this practice area
We are a member of the Association for the Promotion of the Hamburg Renewable Energy Cluster.