David McIntyre is a business lawyer for mining, mineral exploration and natural resource companies, with experience in M&A transactions, joint ventures and strategic alliances, commercial agreements (joint venture, farm-in option, royalty, off-take, product sales, assets sales, mine development and other mining-related agreements), corporate governance and corporate social responsibility.
He has experience in public securities offerings, private placements, strategic investments and other financing transactions, stock exchange listings, mining disclosure (including National Instrument 43-101), regulatory matters relating to natural resource business (foreign corrupt practices, mining act compliance), securities law and stock exchange compliance and reporting, and aboriginal consultation and community impact and benefit agreements. He also advises company boards of directors and special committees.
For five years, Mr. McIntyre was a senior officer at Vale S.A., one of the world’s largest mining companies, in the positions of deputy general counsel and vice-president marketing. His extensive mining and business experience includes transactions in Canada, the US, Brazil, Australia, Argentina, Chile, China, South Korea, Taiwan, Japan, Guatemala and the Democratic Republic of Congo. Earlier in his career, as a partner of a prominent Canadian law firm, his practice focused on corporate securities law and major business transactions.
He has served on the boards of directors of junior mining companies and mining industry organizations.
Mr. McIntyre was seconded to the staff of the Ontario Securities Commission for one year in the corporate finance and capital markets groups. He was also a member of the Securities Advisory Committee to the Ontario Securities Commission (a committee of senior securities practitioners providing policy input to the OSC) between 1999 and 2002.
Year of call
Selected client work
Prior to joining our Toronto office, Mr. McIntyre acted in:
- The merger of Inco Limited with Vale SA - $19 billion
- The China Development Bank funding of an investment in Selwyn Resources by Yunnan Chihong Zinc and Germanium Co. Ltd. - $100 million
- Kores Resource Corporation’s joint venture with Lithium One Inc. (Argentina) - $15 million
- Jilin Jien Nickel Industry Co., Ltd.’s $100 million take-over bid of Goldbrook Ventures Inc.
- Jilin Jien Nickel Industry Co., Ltd.’s equity funding of Canadian Royalties Inc. - $122 million
- Jilin Jien Nickel Industry Co., Ltd.’s project finance funding of Canadian Royalties Inc. - $354 million
- A private mining M&A for Shandong Gold
- A private mining M&A for Kailuan Group
- The sale of Skye Resources to HudBay - $460 million
- Agnico-Eagle Mines’ MJDS equity funding - $100 million
- Mr. McIntyre has been a lecturer at various seminars and public conferences on corporate and securities law matters.
Memberships and activities
- Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Institute
- Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum