Janet Howard’s practice focuses on M&A, corporate and securities law with a particular emphasis on the mining and natural resources sectors. She has acted on a number of public and private company M&A and corporate finance transactions and advises clients on continuous disclosure requirements (including NI 43-101), stock exchange listings, and corporate governance structures and best practices.
Year of call
New York 2002
LL.B., Osgoode Hall Law School, 2002
B.A.(Hons.), University of Toronto, 1997
Selected client work
Ms. Howard has recently acted for:
- Banro Corporation in its public offering of common shares and gold linked Series A preferred shares and concurrent private placement of its Series B preferred shares and gold linked preferred shares of its Barbadian subsidiary to BlackRock World Mining Trust plc
- The financial advisor to the special committee of the board of directors of EACOM Timber Corporation in its consideration of the take-over bid offer by US private equity fund Kelso & Company
- ArcelorMittal in its agreement to sell a 15% interest in its wholly owned subsidiary, ArcelorMittal Mines Canada, for $1.1 billion to a consortium led by South Korea’s POSCO and Taiwan’s China Steel Corporation
- The syndicate of underwriters co-led by Dundee Securities Ltd. and TD Securities Inc. on the initial public offering for Braeval Mining Corporation
- Marathon Gold Corporation in its acquisition of Mountain Lake Resources Inc. pursuant to a court-approved plan of arrangement and, subsequently, on its private placement of units and flow-through common shares
- The syndicate of underwriters led by BMO Nesbitt Burns Inc. on the public offering of common shares of Detour Gold Corporation
- The syndicate of underwriters led by Dundee Securities Ltd. on two private placement unit offerings by Kirkland Lake Gold Inc. and on a bought deal unit offering by Colossus Minerals Inc.
- Jilin Jien Nickel Industry Co., Ltd. in connection with its take-over bid for Goldbrook Ventures Inc.
- North American Palladium in connection with the acquisition of interests in mining claims, including the negotiation of option agreements, royalty agreements and purchase and sale agreements
- Vale Shared Services North America in the preparation of commercial and operational agreements relating to the procurement of services
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association (Natural Resources and Energy Law Section)
- New York Bar Association
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation