Caylee M. Rieger
Caylee Rieger practises in the employment and labour group.
Prior to law school, Ms. Rieger worked as a paralegal with a small firm specializing in family law, real estate, and wills and estates.
Year of call
LL.B., University of Alberta, 2007
B.A., University of Calgary, 2003
Selected client work
Ms. Rieger has acted recently for clients in the following employment and immigration matters:
- Claims of wrongful dismissal, human rights violations, WCB appeals, Employment Standards Code complaints and other claims
- Drafting and reviewing employment policies and handbooks, including alcohol and drug policies for numerous employers
- Drafting executive employment agreements, employment agreements and independent contractor agreements
- Advising on, reviewing and drafting non-competition agreements, non-solicitation agreements, confidentiality agreements and intellectual property agreements
- Investigating workplace harassment claims
- Grievances, disciplinary proceedings, collective bargaining and other union matters
- Reviewing agreements and providing employment advice regarding asset purchases, share purchases and other insolvency proceedings
- Advising on privacy and access to information matters
- Providing advice on occupational health and safety issues and acting for employers in occupational health and safety regulatory proceedings
- Regularly advising employers with respect to immigration issues and temporary foreign workers, and obtaining labour market opinions, work permits, permanent residency and citizenship on behalf of employers and employees
“Wal-Mart Employees Receive Cool Greeting at Supreme Court,” Prospective Magazine, Legal Affairs, March 2010.
- “The Doctrine of Judicial Estoppel in Canada: The Overriding Duty of the Court” (co-author), 2011 CAIRP Insolvency and Restructuring Forum, February 2011.
- “Hiring and Firing: Avoiding the Pitfalls That Will Land You in Court” (co-presenter), Calgary, October 21, 2010.
Rankings and recognitions
- University of Alberta Dean’s List 2004-2005
- University of Calgary Dean’s List 2000-2003
- Jason Lang Scholarships 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2006
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Alberta
- Calgary Bar Association
- Law Students’ Association, Vice President of Academics, 2006-2007
- Former member of Student Legal Services of Edmonton
- Former chair of University of Alberta, Law Student Faculty Fund
- Former member of Law Faculty Council, University of Alberta