James G. Rumball
Jim Rumball’s practice has focused mainly on complex structured finance transactions and securitizations as well as swaps and other derivatives, secured and asset-based lending and corporate and commercial finance matters. Mr. Rumball has acted regularly for investment banks, asset originators, lenders, borrowers and credit rating agencies in the Canadian structured finance market, as well as for other users of securitization and structured finance technology in private financings. He has acquired extensive experience structuring some of the most complex and innovative transactions undertaken in the Canadian market involving pools of securitized or synthetically securitized assets.
Prior to joining our Toronto office in May 2009, Mr. Rumball was a partner at another major law firm in Toronto.
Year of call
LL.M., Banking and Financial Services, Osgoode Hall Law School, 2000
LL.B., University of Manitoba, 1995
B.A., Philosophy and English Literature, University of Toronto, 1992
Selected client work
Mr. Rumball has acted recently for:
- VW Credit Canada in connection with the renewal of Volkswagen's €25 billion debt issuance programme and with the issue of $550 million 2.55% medium-term notes guaranteed by Volkswagen AG under its €25 billion debt issuance programme
- Celestica Inc. in connection with its off-balance sheet, multi-jurisdictional, cross border revolving trade receivables securitization program
- DBRS Limited in the development of their Canadian legal criteria for rated structured finance transactions, including lease securitization structuring, as well as deal counsel on various transactions
- TAO Asset Management, in partnership with Business Development Bank of Canada, in the structuring and development of the Canadian government's Vehicle and Equipment Financing Partnership
- Business Development Bank of Canada with regard to its purchase of asset-backed notes issued by Fleet Leasing Receivables Trust (the bank's first transaction completed under the Small Enterprise Tranche of the Canadian Secured Credit Facility), its purchase of $1.263 billion in auto-loan receivable-backed notes from GMAC Canada and its purchase of $300 million of dealer floorplan receivable-backed notes from CNH Capital Canada Wholesale Trust
- “Asset Protection: Essential Background Law and Recent Developments for Corporate Lawyers and Litigators,” Osgoode Hall Law School Professional Development Program, Toronto, June 16, 2009.
- “The ABCP Restructuring and the Future of Securitization in Canada,” Canadian Asset Liability Management Association, Fall Conference 2008, Orangeville, Ontario, October 29, 2008.
- “Insolvency and the Credit Crunch: 'Canadian Aspects of the Asset-Backed Commercial Paper Crisis'?” 38th Annual Workshop on Commercial and Consumer Law, Winnipeg, Manitoba, October 4, 2008.
- “Challenges and Opportunities in the Canadian Structured Finance Market,” Insight ABS 2007, Whistler, BC, June 2007.
Rankings and recognitions
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2009-2012 - recommended in Asset Securitization and Derivative Instruments
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2011-2013: Banking & Finance: Securitisation
- IFLR (International Financial Law Review) 1000 - The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms - Leading lawyer in banking and finance, 2012
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2012-2013 - Structured Finance Law