Adrienne F. Oliver
Adrienne Oliver’s practice involves all aspects of tax planning and implementation, primarily in the corporate tax field. Ms. Oliver is co-chair of our tax team.
She has participated in structuring major public and private transactions, reorganizations and financings, and has also acquired significant experience in international tax planning and public capital market transactions. Ms. Oliver has acted for clients in a diverse range of industries, including some of Canada’s most respected corporations. She has recently acted in take-over, spinoff, joint venture and restructuring transactions.
In addition, Ms. Oliver has acted for major North American financial institutions and other issuers in connection with both domestic and cross-border debt or equity securities offerings.
Year of call
LL.B., University of Ottawa, 1992
B.A., University of Toronto, 1987
Selected client work
Ms. Oliver’s recent transactions include acting for:
- Royal Bank of Canada in connection with the launch of its prospectus-qualified continuous distribution program for structured notes (senior debt), the offering in Canada of covered bonds in aggregate amounts of $750 million (November 2009) and $850 million (due March 16, 2015), the offering of US$1.5 billion of covered bonds under Rule 144A in the United States, on a private placement basis in Canada, and in Europe, and the prospectus-qualified offering in Canada of $1.5 billion of Series 14 Medium-Term Notes (subordinated indebtedness)
- The syndicate of underwriters, led by Dundee Securities Corporation, in connection with a $15 million “bought deal” private placement of flow-through common shares of Sabina Gold & Silver Corp. in Canada and a "bought deal" public offering of common shares of Sabina Gold & Silver Corp.
- Mega Uranium Ltd. in connection with the company’s first public financing, an offering of $50 million of Units, each Unit being comprised of one common share and one-half of one common share purchase warrant and in connection with the sale of its South American assets (together with $4 million) to U3O8 Corp. in exchange for 30.5 million shares of U3O8 and subsequent dividend-in-kind of such U3O8 shares to Mega’s shareholders
- CHC Helicopter Corporation in connection with its $3.7 billion acquisition by an affiliate of a fund managed by First Reserve Corporation
- Alcan Inc. in connection with the spinoff of Novelis Inc. to its shareholders and in the subsequent acquisition of Alcan Inc. by Rio Tinto plc
- Bowater Inc. in its merger with Abitibi Consolidated
- Cerberus Capital Management, L.P. in its acquisition of convertible preferred shares of Air Canada Enterprises in connection with Air Canada’s restructuring and in its proposed acquisition of BCE Inc.
- Barrick Gold Corporation in connection with its $7.3 billion acquisition of Equinox Minerals Limited, Lexpert's 2011 Deal of the Year
- Nortel in connection with its multijurisdictional insolvency proceedings, including divestitures with an aggregate value of approximately US$7 billion of assets and business lines such as the sales of patents to a consortium comprising Apple, EMC, Ericsson, Microsoft, RIM – now Blackberry – and Sony, of the CDMA and LTE Access division to Ericsson, and of the Enterprise Solutions division to Avaya
- Semtech Corporation in connection with its proposed acquisition of Gennum Corporation, one of the largest Canadian technology transactions in recent years
- Speaker at conferences on a variety of tax-related issues
Rankings and recognitions
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2011, 2012: Tax
- PLC Which lawyer?, 2011 - Tax
Memberships and activities
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Ontario Bar Association
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- International Fiscal Association
- Former instructor in Taxation, Ontario Bar Admission Course