Walied Soliman is co-chair of our Canadian special situations team, which encompasses Canada’s leading shareholder activist and defence mandates and complex reorganization transactions. Over the past several years, Mr. Soliman has been involved in almost every major proxy battle in Canada acting for both issuers and activists. He is widely regarded as one of the leading practitioners in this area in Canada. In addition, his practice focuses on public and private mergers and acquisitions, restructurings, financings, corporate governance, and structured products. Mr. Soliman has been named to Lexpert Magazine's Top 40 under 40 lawyers in Canada.
Among other philanthropic endeavours, Mr. Soliman is a board member of the Toronto SickKids Hospital Foundation.
Year of call
LL.B., Osgoode Hall Law School, 2001
Selected client work
Mr. Soliman has recently acted as counsel to the following clients:
- Agrium Inc. in its high-profile defence opposite JANA Partners LLC
- Mundoro Capital Inc. in shareholder dispute opposite Northern Minerals Investment Corp. Successful defence established the “Advance Notice Policy” in Canada
- Viterra Inc. in high-profile shareholder dispute opposite Alberta Investment Management Corp.
- Telus Corporation in high-profile shareholder dispute opposite Mason Capital Management LLC. Defence of Telus led to leading Canadian case law on a variety of issues, including empty voting
- Mount Kellett Capital Management in shareholder dispute opposite Baja Mining Corp.
- K2 & Associates Investment Management Inc. in shareholder dispute opposite Klondex Mines Ltd.
- JEC Capital Corp. in shareholder dispute opposite Miranda Technologies Corp.
- Savitr Capital LLC in shareholder dispute opposite Western Wind Energy Corp.
- West Face Capital Inc. in high-profile shareholder dispute opposite Maple Leaf Foods Inc.
- Kingsway Financial Services Inc. in connection with a definitive purchase agreement to sell all of the issued and outstanding shares of Jevco Insurance Company to The Westaim Corporation
- “Active-Passive Investor Summit,” Information Management Network (IMN), New York City, April 2013.
- “Proxy fights: Shareholder Activist and Defense Update,” Norton Rose Canada LLP, Toronto, March 2013.
- “Shareholder Activism: What IRO’s Need to Know Luncheon,” CIRI Ontario, Toronto, February 2013.
- “The Activist Investor Conference 2013,” Deal Flow Media, New York City, January 2013.
- “Shareholder Activism: Is Your Company Next?” CIRI Alberta, Calgary, January 2013.
- “Le financement islamique : ce que vous devez savoir pour rencontrer les exigences de ce nouveau véhicule de financement,” Sixième conférence avancée sur le financement et les sûretés, The Canadian Institute, Montreal, January 28-30, 2009.
Rankings and recognitions
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2013 - Mining Law
- Ranked as one of the Top 40 lawyers under 40 in Canada by Lexpert magazine in 2009
Memberships and activities