François Côté practises management-side employment and labour law. In particular, he advises employers on grievance arbitration, labour standards, administrative law, occupational health and safety law, and labour relations in the construction industry. He regularly acts as spokesperson at the negotiation table.
Mr. Côté regularly represents employers before the Commission des relations du travail, the conciliator-adjudicators of the Commission de la santé et de la sécurité du travail (CSST) and grievance arbitrators. In addition, he frequently represents employers before the Commission des lésions professionnelles, on appeal from or on review of decisions of the administrative review branch of the CSST or of the CSST itself.
He also represents employers before administrative tribunals and the courts of civil jurisdiction, regarding provisional, interlocutory and permanent injunctions in the context of labour disputes or in connection with the judicial review of decisions of administrative tribunals.
Over the years Mr. Côté has gained particular expertise in the area of drug and alcohol policies and the management of problems arising from drug and alcohol use.
Mr. Côté is currently Montréal Chair of our employment and labour law group.
LL.B., Université Laval, 1987
- “Les concepts importants en matière de santé et sécurité sur les chantiers de constructions au Québec - Qui est responsable de quoi?” Faculty of Law, Université de Montréal, March 23, 2005.
Rankings and recognitions
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2013 - Workers Compensation Law
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2012: recommended in Occupational Health & Safety and Workers' Compensation
- PLC Which Lawyer? Cross-border Labour and Employee Benefits Handbook
- Recommended in Labour and Employment Law, Practical Law Company
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Lecturer, Université de Montréal, labour relations in the construction industry
- La Peau de l’Ours