André Legrand’s practice focuses on insurance law and professional liability. His insurance law practice focuses on general liability insurance, directors and officers’ liability insurance, professional liability insurance and property insurance.
Mr. Legrand’s professional liability practice involves representing the interests of directors and officers of corporations. He also manages claims on behalf of insurers. He has acted before all Quebec courts and the Supreme Court of Canada. Mr. Legrand was Montréal chair of our litigation group between 2002 and 2006.
LL.M., McGill University, 1995
LL.B., Université de Montréal, 1985
Selected client work
- Mr. Legrand acted recently for the City of Westmount in litigation before the Supreme Court of Canada involving the Quebec no-fault public automobile insurance scheme (Westmount (City of) v Rossy 2012 SCC 30)
- “Managing the Defence of Securities Class Actions around the World: Limiting the Impact on D&O Policies” (co-speaker), C5's 22nd Forum on D&O Liability Insurance, London, March 19-20, 2013.
- “Insurance Claims: The Changing Global Landscape for the London Market” (co-presenter), Lloyd's, London, March 19, 2013.
- “The Rossy Decision, Civil Suits and the Quebec Automobile Insurance Plan” (co-presenter), Canadian Bar Association, Montreal, October 23, 2012.
- “Bill 89 - New Legislation Brings New Liabilities for Corporations and Boards. Is Your Organization Prepared?” (co-presenter), Norton Rose Canada, Montreal, June 15, 2012.
- “The Global Class Action Trend, Issues and Implications for the London Insurance Market” (co-presenter), Lloyd’s, London, March 13, 2012.
- “Managing Risks Relating to the Handling of Liability and Property Claims” (co-chair), The Canadian Institute, June 8-9, 2010.
- “Demystifying D&O Liability in Light of the Recent Increase of Claims and Review of the Scope of D&O Policy,” The Canadian Institute, June 8-9, 2010.
- “Insurance and Construction,” Quebec Association of Engineers, May 7, 2010.
- “State of Quebec Law,” Annual Meeting of the Canadian Life and Health Insurance Association, May 6, 2010.
- “Exclusion Clause and Other Consideration under Property and Liability Policies,” Canadian Bar Association, February 25, 2010.
Rankings and recognitions
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2008-2013 - Insurance Law, Director and Officer Liability
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory - “repeatedly recommended” in commercial insurance, directors and officers’ liability insurance and professional liability
Memberships and activities
- Canadian Bar Association
- Editorial board, Canadian Journal of Insurance Law
- Editorial board, Corporate Liability
- Lecturer approved by the Quebec regulatory authorities for the continuing education of insurance brokers and lawyers