Projects and project finance
“Still very effective as a team, with a good, collegial approach.” Chambers Global 2010, Canada.
“Clients give praise for the level of service available through the firm’s projects team. ‘They’re very high quality and they’re a top notch organisation,’ says one client of the firm.” IFLR1000 2010, Canada.
We are recognized as leaders in providing legal services to our clients that are involved in the following sectors: infrastructure and public-private partnerships for projects and project finance, telecommunications, energy, mining and natural resources, and other international projects. We work with lenders, sponsors and developers, operators, investors and governments. In the energy market, we act for private enterprise and public sector agencies.
We are proud to be one of Canada’s leading domestic and international projects and project finance firms. We have the right people with industry expertise, depth of experience who go the extra mile to successfully complete world class transactions.
Our large team combines projects and project finance expertise with in-depth industry specialization. Partnering with clients, these traits facilitate the achievement of common goals—often across several jurisdictions and legal systems. Our clients first approach has earned trust and built long-term relationships.
We are able to draw on the expertise of our colleagues in all relevant practice areas including arbitration, international trade and restructuring to help ensure that clients receive comprehensive yet pragmatic solutions.
We offer you
- advice on various infrastructure projects, including public-private partnerships, such as toll roads, railways, hospitals, airports, and municipal water and heating infrastructures
- expertise in telecommunications regulatory matters, broadcast, communications, technology and intellectual property
- expertise on numerous major financings in the telecom sector in emerging markets
- experience in regulatory as well as commercial and transactional matters
- advice on matters related to restructurings and developments, infrastructure assessment, financing, regulatory approvals, construction and operation, power generation, distribution, transmission, exports, sales and purchasing, proceedings before regulatory agencies and commissions, as well as litigation and dispute resolution
- experience as lead counsel on significant international projects in several countries including China, India, Russia Europe and the Americas
Projects and Project Finance track record
We have acted for
- the Canadian government in structuring programs to finance reclamation of mine sites
- the lending syndicate financing a 40 per cent joint venture partner of the Diavik diamond mine in the Northwest Territories
- the lending syndicate financing the limited recourse secured acquisition by Aur Resources of the Quebrada Blanca copper mine in Chile
- the lending syndicate project financing the Andacollo copper mine in Chile
- an international financial institution on its project financing of the Hazira and Surat oil and gas fields in India
- a senior lender on the financing of major eucalyptus kraft pulp production facilities in the state of Bahia in Brazil
- the lending syndicate in connection with the project financing and bridge financing for the Las Cruces copper mine in Spain
- international financial institutions such as the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, International Finance Corporation (the private sector finance arm of the World Bank), Nordic Investment Bank, Export Development Canada
- syndicates of major commercial banks, and other institutional lenders and underwriters on project finance transactions
- project developers and operators on large infrastructure projects