Our Energy team is multi-disciplinary and comprised of lawyers whose practices encompass all areas of the law that relate to energy matters including corporate, commercial, finance, regulatory, environmental, tax, construction and dispute resolution. We work with companies involved in all forms of energy production including oil and gas, electricity, wind, solar, geothermal and natural gas.
We have a keen understanding of the economic, political and legal issues existing in today’s complex and dynamic energy markets. Our team has actively participated in the evolution of electricity and natural gas markets by advising clients on market rule interpretation and development, rate setting, licensing, compliance and approval matters. Our lawyers have appeared before federal and provincial regulatory tribunals and attended court on matters relating to both natural gas and electricity.
Our team has expertise in acquisitions, sales and financings; construction, permitting and commercial operation of energy projects; environment issues; litigation and alternative dispute resolution; privatization; and regulatory matters.
The services provided by members of our Energy team include:
- structuring transactions including tax aspects, preparing calls for tenders and bids and negotiating and drafting of commercial contracts for the construction and operation of energy projects
- negotiating and structuring acquisitions, sales and financings in connection with public and private energy production, transmission and distribution projects
- acting on behalf of promoters, financial institutions, builders, suppliers, professionals and governments or public agencies in connection with the financing, construction and operation of energy projects
- advising on laws, regulations and rules governing the energy sector and energy markets
- representing industry players before regulatory agencies and commissions in matters including the setting of rates, licensing, permitting and approvals, market surveillance and complaints
- representing industry players in connection with litigation and dispute resolution, mediation and arbitration of disputes.