Copyright and entertainment
Copyright enforcement is more than securing rights for artistic or literary works. It is protection of a critical business component. With rapidly evolving media and continuing advances in Internet-related technology, copyright challenges have become more commonplace.
Entertainment law goes hand-in-hand with copyright law. Our strong presence in the cultural sector helps us provide experienced advice to clients in all entertainment media.
We represent a number of industry clients including those in film, television, video, music, art, literature and evolving media including telecommunications and the Internet.
We handle copyright litigation matters such as anti-counterfeiting enforcement and/or seizure of copyright protected goods. On the entertainment side, we advise on such day-to-day operations as performers’ rights, co-productions and joint ventures to employment issues, insurance, content review for defamation and privacy concerns, and distribution matters.
Our lawyers are regularly representing Canadian copyright collectives before the Copyright Board for the certification of tariffs for the various uses of copyright subject-matter. The decisions of the Board on these complex legal and valuation issues are often brought for judicial review before the Federal Court of Appeal and our team of copyright lawyers is well prepared for the judicial review process.
Our expertise extends to all aspects of copyright law including clearance, acquisition and registration to due diligence, agreements and transactional issues.
We offer you
- copyright registration assignments and licenses
- copyright searches
- usage policies, audits and protection
- civil and criminal litigation
- copyright portfolio management
- merchandising, assignment and licensing agreements
- due diligence and valuation of copyright assets for commercial transactions
- protection, exploitation and distribution rights
- employment and labour contracts and matters
- defamation and privacy concerns
- representations before the Copyright Board
Managing Intellectual Property