Our Aboriginal team assists clients with project development on land protected by the Constitution of Canada. We help them navigate the strategic, legal and practical issues that characterize this evolving area of expertise. We solve problems faced by our clients in light of the claims asserted by aboriginal peoples, particularly with matters related to natural resources.
Our experience in aboriginal land claim negotiations and consultations with aboriginal peoples with expertise in litigation and disputes involving aboriginal law issues, and knowledge of government practices, enable us to propose dynamic and practical approaches that may be invaluable to our clients in planning and executing their development projects.
We provide expertise in the areas of constitutional law, environmental, energy, litigation, and mining and resources. Our Aboriginal team includes two senior advisors whose reputation, leadership and expertise within the field provide valuable insight into First Nations - Canada matters.
- Phil Fontaine is a member of the Sagkeeng First Nation in Manitoba, former three-term National Chief of the Assembly of First Nations and Member of the Order of Manitoba. He advises clients in all our offices in the areas of aboriginal law, energy, environmental and mining and resources.
We offer you
- A comprehensive understanding of the strategic, legal and practical issues that characterize Aboriginal law
- Knowledge of the scope of existing aboriginal and treaty rights of the aboriginal peoples of Canada in the Constitution Act, 1982
- Navigating agreements relating to the management of natural resources and the processes for assessing the environmental impact of resource development projects
- Understanding of the duty to consult aboriginal peoples even before aboriginal title or rights claims have been proven or recognized