Dr Martyn Taylor
Dr Martyn Taylor is a Partner in the Sydney office. He is both a corporate/commercial lawyer and a well-known competition and regulatory specialist. He is described as “smart, efficient, friendly”.
IFLR 1000 states “Taylor is recommended for his expertise in telecommunications, media, infrastructure, competition and regulatory matters”.
Martyn has some 18 years’ experience advising on commercial deals and projects, corporate transactions, regulatory matters, and complex issues of competition law and commercial strategy.
As well as holding a PhD in competition law, Martyn is a qualified economist and has advanced postgraduate qualifications in corporate finance (M&A, project finance, venture capital, private equity). He has a deep understanding of industry issues.
- Telecoms & media: Martyn has global expertise in telecoms, media and technology. He has acted for stakeholders throughout the Asia-Pacific and Middle East, including in some of these regions’ largest commercial and M&A deals. He has particular expertise in interconnection & access, infrastructure issues (including mobiles, cable systems, satellite & NGN), licensing, law reform, separation, commercial contracts, and regulatory. He also advises on legal issues relating to pay TV, Internet, media and digital technologies.
- Energy: Martyn has substantial expertise in energy with a focus on electricity, oil and gas. He started his career in-house working on power project developments. He subsequently acted in the development and reform of the NZ electricity market, as well as various M&A transactions. Over the years, he has acted for numerous generators, oil & gas producers, joint ventures, refiners/processors, pipeline operators, transmission operators, distributors, and retailers.
- Infrastructure projects: Martyn has acted for airports, ports, rail and mining operations and in multi-billion dollar infrastructure projects. He has been seconded to a number of corporate roles and regularly advises on infrastructure issues. Martyn is also a qualified economist with expertise in corporate finance, so he has a detailed understanding of regulated asset pricing, economic modelling, and asset valuation.
- Competition & regulatory: Martyn is a well-known competition specialist. He has a PhD in competition law and has authored various books, including the award-nominated book “International Competition Law”. He co-authors the leading CCH commentary on the Australian competition regime. Martyn has acted in a number of high profile merger and joint venture clearances, access disputes, and cartel and regulatory investigations. He has also drafted competition laws and sectoral regimes.
- International trade: Martyn has significant expertise in international trade law. He regularly advises on WTO law and free trade agreements. He has worked with industry and government to resolve market access issues and implement law and policy reforms.
Martyn also generally advises on commercial deals, projects, corporate finance and M&A transactions. He has also acted in a range of commercial disputes and regulatory arbitrations.
Martyn is affiliated with various academic institutions and professional organisations, including holding board and executive positions. Before joining the practice, Martyn was a Partner in another top tier law firm.