Dr David Goldman
Dr David Goldman is an insolvency and restructuring lawyer based in Sydney. He leads the Distressed Debt & Investments practice globally. In 2012 he was named in the Australian Financial Review’s “Best Lawyers” List for insolvency and reorganisation.
David regularly advises banks, insolvency practitioners and other corporate stakeholders on domestic and cross-border structures and transactions involving distressed assets and debt, restructuring and litigation. He has acted for various parties in most of the major Australian corporate insolvencies for over 14 years.
- acting for the major secured creditor and receivers of the Wettenhalls Transport and Logistics Group
- acting for an international airline on the recognition of its overseas corporate reorganisation in Australia
- acting for a US multinational food chain on the “prepack” restructure of its relationship with the Australian operator
- providing expert evidence on Australian insolvency law and restructuring practice in US proceedings involving a global investment firm
- advising on the structure and sale of impaired loans
- acting for receivers on urgent injunction applications
- acting for financial institutions on a variety of litigious matters including security enforcement and cheque fraud
David regularly contributes to the educational initiatives of the Insolvency Practitioners Association and publishes in leading industry and academic journals and books on insolvency law, directors’ duties and the challenges of globalisation. He is the author of Globalisation and the Western Legal Tradition published by Cambridge University Press (launched in 2008 by the Hon. Michael Kirby, then a Justice of the High Court of Australia).
A Senior Visiting Fellow at the University of New South Wales, David is responsible for convening its postgraduate corporate insolvency course. David also sits on ASIC’s NSW Regional Insolvency Liaison Committee and the Law Council of Australia's Insolvency and Reconstruction Law Committee.