Technology, media, telecommunications
Our Technology, Media & Telecommunications group is focussed on the acquisition, use and application of digital technologies, in all their manifestations.
Our mix of high level legal, technological and commercial expertise enables us to understand technology and business-related risk issues that organisations are often unaware of.
Our services cover all the digital and technology issues our clients are likely to face. These range from electronic transactional work to privacy on the Internet; from software development, licensing and maintenance agreements to strategic advice on business process outsourcing. We apply our skills in the context of your business, and have particular experience in the application of technology in the banking and financial services area, general service delivery and manufacturing areas. We have acted for global IT suppliers, governments, banks, and a diverse range of businesses.
Innovative yet commercial
The strength of our service is a result of our practical experience. Many members of our team have worked as in-house counsel and/or in the IT industry generally. With that knowledge, we know when clients are not getting the best possible outcome, and how to achieve a successful commercial resolution. We put innovation into practice while building individual relationships with our clients so that time and time again the outcomes exceed our clients’ expectations.
As you would expect, our services cover everything from advice to implementation:
- advice on all online issues including e-commerce strategies, hosting and content privacy
- information technology development and implementation advice
- outsourcing, including business processes outsourcing and system outsourcing
- e-security, including policy development, practices and procedures guides and reviews
- systems procurement, including all the processes which may sit around such exercises including specification preparation, RFT and similar documentation and evaluation and review
- public key infrastructure (PKI) system development
- identity management and authentication
- intellectual property protection
- commercialisation of technology products
- preparation of GITC based contracts
- technology specific due diligence
We make a point of getting to the essence of the deal when it comes to IT outsourcing, with the aim of resolving the technical and commercial issues as well as the “legals” to give you the best possible solution.
Public key infrastructure
We are the only Australian law firm to have assisted in the successful onboarding by a bank into the Identrus® Trust system. We have significant knowledge of the systems and documents which underpin the use of public key infrastructure (PKI), and the identity requirements for certificate issuance.
Increased reliance on technology means the need has never been greater for clients to safeguard critical assets and take steps to protect the integrity and confidentiality of their business information. We co-authored Australia’s first book on managing the legal risks associated with e-security.
Project management skills
We have equipped our lawyers with project management skills so we can take an active role in this process where required. Increasingly we find that with larger technology projects, especially outsourcing and procurement, this is an area where our contribution is most valued, both in timely delivery and to eliminate surprises.